Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Options
So I hear Hungry Girl rave about these tofu shirataki noodles. Well I was finally able to find some in my area at a health food store. So last night I thought hey I will try the fettuccine with light alfredo sauce for dinner. Holy grossness! I pride myself on not being a picky eater. I have a hard time cooking for my husband because he tends to be a little picky. Hello, if I was more picky I wouldn't be 100 pounds over weight. I tried about four different bites of it. I couldn't handle the rubbery texture and no flavor. It was aweful. I had to throw the rest out. I don't like being wasteful. I would rather just have smaller portions of the real stuff. Whole wheat pasta is so much tastier. Has anyone else tried these? Do you like them? Do they discust you?

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I tried them and HATED them! The texture was just awful. God love people who can eat them.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    :frown: I bought a pacakge at Whole Foods and I went home all excited to try them..I followed the directions I read on online from other people who had eaten the noodles everyone agreed that properly pre-paring the noodles was the key to them tasting good..first washing then microwaving then washing then microwaving..I then boiled the noodles in chicken broth and then drained and added tomato sauce...Gross, Foul, disgusting texture!!! it tasted like a plate of rubber bands with sauce on them.

If you want pasta with less calories try Fiber gourmet pastas...they come in tons of different shapes even lasagna noodles.. and they contain 130 calories per 2 oz compare to regular pasta 200 per 2 oz and they taste just like regular pasta.

http://www.fibergourmet.com/Nutrition.aspx

You can order them online at http://www.fibergourmet.com/ProductList.aspx or Whole Foods carries a couple varieties

on the website you can also purchase.. assorted snacks that resemble cheez its but they have less calories better nutrition and a larger portion also low cal boxed mac and cheese and low cal cake mixes:love:

Give them a try..I love them all ☺
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have used them in conjunction with the Tempah coconut curry and sauteed both in a fry pan.................mmmmmm!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I LOL when I read these comments. I eat these every once in a while just because they are so low in calories. I've also warned a lot of people that they are very chewy and you can't seem to cut them. However, I let them cook for a while in a tomato sauce and add some meatless meatballs and it's a good enough lunch. I think it is definitely an acquired taste though!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, rubbery texture.... but, if i don't eat any other pasta for awhile, i get used to them. There was a point where I was eating an entire package for dinner (only 40 cals for the whole package) a few times per week! I made sure to do all the rinsing and microwaving... then added them to my stirfry (zucchini, asparagus, onions, garlic, shrimp, low sodium soy sauce).

It's quite satisfying to eat a HUGE plate of noodles, shrimp and veggies for under 200 calories!
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    I love it!

I dump the whole pouch in a strainer and sit it in the sink for 5 minutes with water running through it. I take a pair of kitchen shears and snip it up nice and good. Then I dry them off and pop them in the microwave with a edge of laughing cow swiss for a minute. I let it sit in there another 3-4 minutes while I heat up pasta sauce on the stove. I dump the pasta in the sauce and let it cook for 10-15 minutes, add about 1/4 cup of meal starters vegetarian "ground meat" (it's soy), and then eat it.

Whole thing comes to just under 200 calories.

The trick is to let it marinate. It's still going to be a little chewy, but they are asian noodles.

Put these in a stirfry with some low sodium soy and chinese mustard and you're gold! It tastes JUST like lo mein (minus the grease!).
  • jeweljade
    Options
    I love them but would never try to use them as a replacement in an American dish. They taste amazing in the place of ramen noodels in the ramen soup. Or... if you like miso try them in miso. Here is a popular way to eat them:
    http://japanesefood.about.com/od/beef/r/yakinikubeef.htm
    they don't have the shirataki in the recipe, but just add about 3/4 cup. Very popular way of eating them in Japan. My dad use to make it for me when I was growing up =) If you have an asian food grocer, sometimes it's cheaper than getting it at the health food store. ;)