First month - for about the third time

Options
I've used MFP before, but never managed to stick to it for longer than a couple of months at a time.

This time, I'm a month in and I've changed a few things (slightly increased calories, restrictive fruit/veg/protein 'reset' diet for two weeks, then gradually re-introducing smaller amounts of other foods).

I'm currently 5'3" and weigh 250lbs. Started off at 259, which is the heaviest I've ever been. In the past, I never FELT unhealthy. I knew I was fat, but I still felt good. Letting my weight get up to 259 meant that this was no longer the case. I genuinely felt awful, out of breath when moving around, and downright unhappy. I haven't been THIS fat all my life, but weight has crept on very, very gradually over the last 15 years.

My initial goal weight is to get down to 165lbs. I know this is still quite high for my height, but that's the weight I was at when I was at University, wearing a UK size 12-14 and photos tell me I looked pretty good. The intention is to get there, and then decide if I want to lose more.

The trouble is, the more I read, the more I worry about loose skin. I'm 43 and have always looked younger - people's guess is usually late 20s, though I think they're being kind and it's actually early 30s. The thought of looking older is horrifying to me - and the idea of losing the boobs I've had (proportionally) since I was 12 is scary. Never mind the loose skin elsewhere. Is there anything at all I can do to prevent this? I haven't had kids, and the only time I've lost a decent amount of weight before (40lbs) I didn't notice anything at all. Any rays of hope or am I doomed to put pennies in the bank for nips and tucks? I can't stay fat to avoid loose skin - after all, all I do by waiting is make it worse!

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I would set loose skin aside as an issue to fret about. You are 43 and obese (so was I). Your 40's are when health issues start. You need to get serious about it or you will have a steeper climb later. If you lose 20 pounds you will see a remarkable improvement in your mobility and energy level that you can use to springboard to new goals. Try for that. I would urge you to set some fitness goals. Become a walker, and walk daily until you can do other things too. Strength training is important as we age, it prevents injury and helps bone strength (particularly important for women). Better muscle tone will also help the skin issue. In general, increase your activity level and rein in your calories. Positive results will get you into a virtuous cycle.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What mulecanter said and also adding, the younger you are the better chance you have of your skin adjusting to your new weight. I've read on MFP for those that have lost a significant amount of weight, that adjustment time can take a year or more. However, by then you will be enjoying other benefits from losing weight and you will have healthier things to focus on. Best of luck!
  • Floatingpencil
    Floatingpencil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. I know I have to do it...I'm lucky to have dodged the various health bullets so far. And even if my vanity protests at the thought of looking older, I'm only making it worse by waiting.

I've got a gym membership and have been in a couple of times - treadmill and bike only so far, though they have a pool that I'm trying to get up the nerve to use. Also tracking steps - initial goal is 5000 a day which I know isn't enough but thought I'd get that done first and then see where things are. Even the 9lbs I've managed to lose so far has made me feel better and the breathlessness has mostly gone - think I must have hit some kind of personal weight tipping point!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've used MFP before, but never managed to stick to it for longer than a couple of months at a time.

This time, I'm a month in and I've changed a few things (slightly increased calories, restrictive fruit/veg/protein 'reset' diet for two weeks, then gradually re-introducing smaller amounts of other foods).

I'm currently 5'3" and weigh 250lbs. Started off at 259, which is the heaviest I've ever been. In the past, I never FELT unhealthy. I knew I was fat, but I still felt good. Letting my weight get up to 259 meant that this was no longer the case. I genuinely felt awful, out of breath when moving around, and downright unhappy. I haven't been THIS fat all my life, but weight has crept on very, very gradually over the last 15 years.

My initial goal weight is to get down to 165lbs. I know this is still quite high for my height, but that's the weight I was at when I was at University, wearing a UK size 12-14 and photos tell me I looked pretty good. The intention is to get there, and then decide if I want to lose more.

The trouble is, the more I read, the more I worry about loose skin. I'm 43 and have always looked younger - people's guess is usually late 20s, though I think they're being kind and it's actually early 30s. The thought of looking older is horrifying to me - and the idea of losing the boobs I've had (proportionally) since I was 12 is scary. Never mind the loose skin elsewhere. Is there anything at all I can do to prevent this? I haven't had kids, and the only time I've lost a decent amount of weight before (40lbs) I didn't notice anything at all. Any rays of hope or am I doomed to put pennies in the bank for nips and tucks? I can't stay fat to avoid loose skin - after all, all I do by waiting is make it worse!

why worry about something that may never happen?

no one can tell you how much loose skin you'll have.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    As far as loose skin. I had a lot on my stomach (recently had a tummy-tuck to get rid of it). I have noticable loose skin on my thighs as well. My arms and face, almost none.

Now, I also lost 180lbs before my tummy-tuck. That's a person, I weigh less than what I lost. Even if I couldn't afford the tummy-tuck, I'd rather have the loose skin that be obese. One is ugly, the other was killing me. I didn't notice the saggy skin until I was down about 100lbs.

Also, I'm 42 today. The loose skin on my face - completely went away. My arms, about 95% went away with time. Thighs: I'm 42, short shorts and miniskirts are just not my thing, so thighs are a non-issue, nobody sees them unless I'm naked (myself, my doctor, my boyfriend).
  • jasmineisnotcreative
    Options
    Overall, I am sure you know that being overweight is much more harmful to yourself than some loose skin. Premature death isn’t comparable to cosmetic insecurities.

However, I understand your concerns. Lose weight at a steady place to ensure your body can retain its skin better (2lbs a week or maybe 3lbs) and exercise regularly to help tighten your body.

Slow and steady wins the race!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    From past experience (and, hopefully, again this time), there are 3 key factors to avoid severe loose skin during weight loss. First, lose gradually targeting no more than 2 lbs per week ... this gives your skin the chance to recover. Second, drink lots of water which will keep your skin healthy and hydrated. Third, Exercise. For me, walking and weights were my primary choices; swimming was secondary. Muscle acts as supportive tissue for the skin so is important to maintain or build during weight loss.
    Good luck in your new journey to a healthier you!! :smiley:
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »
    From past experience (and, hopefully, again this time), there are 3 key factors to avoid severe loose skin during weight loss. First, lose gradually targeting no more than 2 lbs per week ... this gives your skin the chance to recover. Second, drink lots of water which will keep your skin healthy and hydrated. Third, Exercise. For me, walking and weights were my primary choices; swimming was secondary. Muscle acts as supportive tissue for the skin so is important to maintain or build during weight loss.
    Good luck in your new journey to a healthier you!! :smiley:

Great advice. Gradual loss + hydration + activity really help with keeping skin looking and feeling good.