10 weight loss tips (picture)

Options
2»

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    All these tips are fabulous,but sorry I have to disagree with you on number 8 (weighing yourself daily). It can be quite discouraging to some of us, as the water weight really fluctuates. Other than that, thank you for this great post. Salud!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I disagree what weighing daily is bad. I weigh daily. We all know we can fluctuate, sometimes by a number of pounds a day, so how can you know if the one day you weigh a week isn't just a fluctuation? Weighing everyday gives you more data, I don't see how that's bad. As long as you remember that fluctuations happen and to focus on your overall progress, it's fine, and you have to do that with weekly weigh ins anyway. Plus, weighing everyday makes it easier to get out of bed because I'm excited to see how much I've lost since the day before.

Though the skipping breakfast one confuses me. 'Skipping breakfast may make you more likely to indulge'. But if you're counting calories - which presumably most of us are - you know how much you can eat in a day and will eat that much. If you have a snack because you're hungry from not having breakfast you'll take that much out of dinner or whatever. If this is aimed at people not counting calories fine, but that one seems a bit pointless for calorie counters.

The rest of the tips seem great.

I don't think anybody's saying weighing ever day is "bad", some of us just prefer not to. Personally, I've gotten away from worrying about the # on the scale so once a week is enough for me, but I might check it the next day if it seems the # I saw was way different than what I expected. As somebody else pointed out, weight can fluctuate by a few pounds day to day, so obsessing about that would make me nuts. Some people use daily weighing as a means to stay focused, for some people it works great as a tracking tool. Bottom line is that you need to do whatever it takes to be as successful as you can & if weighing daily works for you then, by all means, do it.......

In theory you are 100 % right about the calorie counting, but some people don't have the discipline to stick to the count if they end up too hungry later in the day because they skipped something when their body is used to having it - they end up binging or eating something really crappy which ends up a lot worse for them in the long run than eating a nutritional breakfast. Once or twice isn't going to hurt, but it gets too easy to fall into doing it more often & promising yourself you'll get back on track. Again, this is a different strokes for different folks situation. Some people absolutely cannot eat in the morning while others have to. The key here is knowing what works best for you & what YOUR body responds to.....

I just hope that everybody who has taken the initiative to be on this site & work hard to make the improvements they want/need has the success they are looking for. Everybody just needs to remember that there is no magic one size fits all answer on how to get there. The basic theory is the same for everybody - eat less, move more - but the road to get there is different for everybody....

Some people seem pretty against the idea of weighing everyday. "Weighing everyday is ridiculous". Either way I was just trying to give a different perspective. My point was you shouldn't obsess over it, you have to look at the general trend, just as you shouldn't obsess over numbers if you're weighing weekly. Doesn't matter how often you're weighing, obsessing over it is bad. Absolutely you have to do what works for you, and since everyone so far was saying that they disagree with weighing everyday I just wanted to say it can work for some people and explain why it works for me.

And yeah, I thought about that point a bit more after I posted it. I've never struggled with sticking to my calories myself, so of course that tip wouldn't really apply to someone like me. I was mostly thinking of that when I replied to the girls that said 'LOL just eat less!' I think it is easy to just eat less, but not everyone does, and that's who these tips are for.
  • melanienierop
    Options
    I didn't make this picture. I just found it online and thought I would share it with you guys :)
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month and eat breakfast maybe twice a month.. thanks for sharing thou :happy:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I disagree what weighing daily is bad. I weigh daily. We all know we can fluctuate, sometimes by a number of pounds a day, so how can you know if the one day you weigh a week isn't just a fluctuation? Weighing everyday gives you more data, I don't see how that's bad. As long as you remember that fluctuations happen and to focus on your overall progress, it's fine, and you have to do that with weekly weigh ins anyway. Plus, weighing everyday makes it easier to get out of bed because I'm excited to see how much I've lost since the day before.

Though the skipping breakfast one confuses me. 'Skipping breakfast may make you more likely to indulge'. But if you're counting calories - which presumably most of us are - you know how much you can eat in a day and will eat that much. If you have a snack because you're hungry from not having breakfast you'll take that much out of dinner or whatever. If this is aimed at people not counting calories fine, but that one seems a bit pointless for calorie counters.

The rest of the tips seem great.

I don't think anybody's saying weighing ever day is "bad", some of us just prefer not to. Personally, I've gotten away from worrying about the # on the scale so once a week is enough for me, but I might check it the next day if it seems the # I saw was way different than what I expected. As somebody else pointed out, weight can fluctuate by a few pounds day to day, so obsessing about that would make me nuts. Some people use daily weighing as a means to stay focused, for some people it works great as a tracking tool. Bottom line is that you need to do whatever it takes to be as successful as you can & if weighing daily works for you then, by all means, do it.......

In theory you are 100 % right about the calorie counting, but some people don't have the discipline to stick to the count if they end up too hungry later in the day because they skipped something when their body is used to having it - they end up binging or eating something really crappy which ends up a lot worse for them in the long run than eating a nutritional breakfast. Once or twice isn't going to hurt, but it gets too easy to fall into doing it more often & promising yourself you'll get back on track. Again, this is a different strokes for different folks situation. Some people absolutely cannot eat in the morning while others have to. The key here is knowing what works best for you & what YOUR body responds to.....

I just hope that everybody who has taken the initiative to be on this site & work hard to make the improvements they want/need has the success they are looking for. Everybody just needs to remember that there is no magic one size fits all answer on how to get there. The basic theory is the same for everybody - eat less, move more - but the road to get there is different for everybody....

Some people seem pretty against the idea of weighing everyday. "Weighing everyday is ridiculous". Either way I was just trying to give a different perspective. My point was you shouldn't obsess over it, you have to look at the general trend, just as you shouldn't obsess over numbers if you're weighing weekly. Doesn't matter how often you're weighing, obsessing over it is bad. Absolutely you have to do what works for you, and since everyone so far was saying that they disagree with weighing everyday I just wanted to say it can work for some people and explain why it works for me.

And yeah, I thought about that point a bit more after I posted it. I've never struggled with sticking to my calories myself, so of course that tip wouldn't really apply to someone like me. I was mostly thinking of that when I replied to the girls that said 'LOL just eat less!' I think it is easy to just eat less, but not everyone does, and that's who these tips are for.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Of course, there are always going to be extremists on both sides of the issue. I can't even necessarily say that obsessing is a bad way to go because there are people who need to do that to stay focused. Just because weighing every day isn't something I'm doing, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people that it will help. Just like calorie counting, some people get very upset that the exercise calories here are very generous. I use logging to keep track of what I'm doing, to make sure that on the days I can I get some exercise logged & so that I'm aware of what & how much I'm eating. I don't care about the #'s themselves, the process is what's helped me. I walk past the cookies now & instead of grabbing a few I look at them & know I don't want to log them, so I pass them by in favor of something better for me. Some people need to track every # - again, if it works for you then you should absolutely do it. I just try to remember when I read stuff on the forums that there isn't a single way to get it done.....

That's a very good perspective on who the tips were written for. Sometimes it's tough to see something that comes naturally to us through somebody else's eyes....
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I didn't make this picture. I just found it online and thought I would share it with you guys :)

Thank you for sharing it, they ARE good tips. All of them may not work for everybody, but there's something there for everybody. Also, the tip itself may not work for somebody, but the theory it represents is good & people may find a different way to apply the theory that works for them........