Potassium Salt

Options
Hello together,
couple days ago i switched from regular salt to potassium salt that has only 33% the sodium and additional potassium. I switched because I used a *kitten* load of salt and was holding onto a lot of water, especially in my mid section.

Has anyone of you tried, or has any experience with potassium salt?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've not heard of this but sounds like something I'd be interested in. I'll look for it the next time I go to the store. Hopefully others have tried it and can add some opinions.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've heard it has a metallic aftertaste so I never tried it. But I certainly could use more potassium to offset my sodium intake.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for years because my sodium is already 10-15k a day and I don't want to add even more lol. I love it. It tastes exactly like salt and is amazing.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I use a potassium chloride product ("NoSalt") in combination with good old sodium chloride salts depending on application. At some time or other, one of the cooking magazine taste-tests showed that a 50/50 blend of sodium salt to potassium salt was kinda sweet-spot for taste (to address that "metallic" taste).

I wanted to stick in a few things about potassium salts that might be worth looking into though -- Potassium salts may not play well with impaired kidney function, and some hypertension meds (ACE inhibitors and potassium-sparing diuretics), which are often prescribed for folks with hypertensive issues, may also not play to well.

I understand that you're blaming a high-sodium diet for fluid retention around your midsection, but... are you certain that this is sodium-related?

Also, have you evaluated the sources of your sodium? (just offering a thought, some studies show that only 5% of dietary sodium comes from the shaker at mealtime, and only 6% of dietary sodium is added during home meal preparation... The majority of dietary sodium is from store-bought / restaurant foods (not your kitchen / table salt-shaker) {Site: Lisa Harnack, Dr.PH., professor and director, nutrition coordinating center, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis; Kathryn Foti, M.P.H., epidemiologist, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore; May 8, 2017 -- https://circulation.libsyn.com/circulation-may-8-2017-issue }

If you're really adding that much "salt" yourself, you may want to look into the effects of high-dose potassium.
    (extreme example exacerbating renal failure: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124926/ )
  • MaxPrinz
    MaxPrinz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use a potassium chloride product ("NoSalt") in combination with good old sodium chloride salts depending on application. At some time or other, one of the cooking magazine taste-tests showed that a 50/50 blend of sodium salt to potassium salt was kinda sweet-spot for taste (to address that "metallic" taste).

I wanted to stick in a few things about potassium salts that might be worth looking into though -- Potassium salts may not play well with impaired kidney function, and some hypertension meds (ACE inhibitors and potassium-sparing diuretics), which are often prescribed for folks with hypertensive issues, may also not play to well.

I understand that you're blaming a high-sodium diet for fluid retention around your midsection, but... are you certain that this is sodium-related?

Also, have you evaluated the sources of your sodium? (just offering a thought, some studies show that only 5% of dietary sodium comes from the shaker at mealtime, and only 6% of dietary sodium is added during home meal preparation... The majority of dietary sodium is from store-bought / restaurant foods (not your kitchen / table salt-shaker) {Site: Lisa Harnack, Dr.PH., professor and director, nutrition coordinating center, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis; Kathryn Foti, M.P.H., epidemiologist, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore; May 8, 2017 -- https://circulation.libsyn.com/circulation-may-8-2017-issue }

If you're really adding that much "salt" yourself, you may want to look into the effects of high-dose potassium.
    (extreme example exacerbating renal failure: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1124926/ )

Thank you very much for your reply, I tried it now for a couple of days and lost some lbs of water already
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The idea of 50/50 might be worth a try. Yeah, the metallic taste is a thing.