Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is milk bad for you??

psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
I know this get discuessed occasionally, and thought this was worth while to post. Its a video on the impacts of milk

https://youtu.be/Rx9lZKSACFc

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Errrr....wish my work didn't block videos
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    I always thought if it made you feel like crap then it's probable not good for you as an individual. If you feel fine drinking it then it's not a problem for you. Me personally I somehow developed an intolerance to dairy around 20/21 after drinking it for years with no issues whatsoever. Weird.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I always thought if it made you feel like crap then it's probable not good for you as an individual. If you feel fine drinking it then it's not a problem for you. Me personally I somehow developed an intolerance to dairy around 20/21 after drinking it for years with no issues whatsoever. Weird.

My wife found she has issue with straight milk, but ice cream and cheese are fine. So she doesn't drink milk or she drinks fairlife milk which is ultra filtered (which also works).

Overall, it seems that dairy has a lot of positive results, including to help reduce the risk of several types of cancer with only a small increase or even neutral risk on prostate cancer

Is it a lactose issue? Hard cheeses have very little lactose in them (but ice cream does do can't explain that one).

I have secondary lactose intolerance. I can tolerate it if my GI diseases are not flaring but am intolerant when they are.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I tolerate lactose fine and have good bone density so will continue using it. Dad is lactose intolerant though. Just depends what you inherited I guess.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

My wife found she has issue with straight milk, but ice cream and cheese are fine. So she doesn't drink milk or she drinks fairlife milk which is ultra filtered (which also works).

Overall, it seems that dairy has a lot of positive results, including to help reduce the risk of several types of cancer with only a small increase or even neutral risk on prostate cancer

Is it a lactose issue? Hard cheeses have very little lactose in them (but ice cream does do can't explain that one).

I have secondary lactose intolerance. I can tolerate it if my GI diseases are not flaring but am intolerant when they are.

we haven't cared that much to try and figure it out.. it's possible the amount of lactose is what effects her.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    No food is bad or good, but too much of anything can mess with you. You can poison yourself with water if you drink too much of it. If you don't have any intolerances, dairy produce can be a useful part of a healthy diet.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Saw a TV program recently about a rural community where “everyone works until they’re in their 90’s” etc (you know the sort of thing). One of the conclusions was that a high calcium diet, based on lots of yoghurt, was particularly beneficial.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Milk is great....doesn't bother me. I do buy Fairlife which is ulra filtered(whatever that means). I just like the taste!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    I eat a lot of dairy - butter, yoghurt, cheese primarily, and milk in my coffee and ice cream and cream occasionally (when I have the calories spare). I love it. It loves me. I would be devastated if I were lactose intolerant.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2018
    It's not bad for me. I have ethical qualms about the dairy industry and I'd like to be able to afford more ethically sourced dairy and would happily do so if afforded the chance to since my main source of protein is dairy (I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian). I do use Fairlife milk and I know that's ethically sourced and I respond to that just fine.

If someone else has digestive issues with dairy, then obviously, that person needs to avoid it, but that doesn't mean that I need to.

When my daughter was little and I was breastfeeding her, she had an issue with casein, the milk protein, and I had to abstain from dairy. That was hard, especially because we did the extended breastfeeding thing. I also had to make all of her food from scratch. She had a lot of food sensitivity issues at the time, including a corn sensitivity. That one was harder than the dairy issue!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    For me, absolutely. I am quite lactose intolerant, 1 cup of milk will leave me in pain for a good 12 hours. For other people...meh, everything in moderation.