marching in place

Options
Just wondering opinions. Do you think marching in place counts as steps?

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it in a lively fashion and not just shifting your weight from one side to the other, heck yeah! Jenny Ford has some marching workouts on youtube that can kick your azz :-)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'd count them as steps, sure.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Thats often how I get to 10k on days I don't run. Marching in place at my standing desk.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Just wondering opinions. Do you think marching in place counts as steps?

Not a particularly simple answer, but yes and no. Most of the calorie expenditure from walking and running Congress from the forward motion of your body mass. If you're not moving your body mass then you're only getting a small proportion of the energy demand.

That said, if you're vigorous enough then you get some cardiovascular benefit. Again not as much as actually walking.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to increase the step count on a pedometer, then it'll certainly do that.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Psych! I appreciate that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If just lifting your legs, then it's not doing too much. Not terribly different from waving your arms around.

If you really want to make it impactful, try to simulate a walking/running stride. Focus on pushing off with your back leg instead of just lifting your front leg. Basically, it's almost like turning it into a series of one-legged jumps.