Turkey Bacon

Options
Who here has had turkey bacon?

I just tried Aldi's Fit & Active Turkey Bacon for the first time last night, and I was surprised at how good it was! I baked a few slices in a NuWave oven. I couldn't get it as crispy as I liked, but it was still good! Only 30 calories and 140 mg of sodium per slice.

What's your favorite bacon brand/type?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is an abomination. That is all. :flowerforyou:
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've had turkey bacon on occasion, and find that the Jennie-O is decent in a pinch.

That said, I prefer regular bacon, and Applegate Farms Uncured Sunday Bacon is my brand of choice. It's regular bacon, but the nutritional information is very close to turkey bacon: 30 calories and 145 mg of sodium per slice.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Bacon > turkey bacon
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just hate turkey bacon. I've tried quite a few brands and cannot find one I like. The problem is I actually want it to taste like bacon, and it never does. I'm just going to eat regular bacon, but only eat two pieces.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Love turkey bacon. Less mess. Less time. I love to bake regular bacon- if you've never tried baking it than you should! But, I love all things turkey so turkey bacon is great for me because I can microwave a few slices in the morning which I find to be better tasting than microwaveable regular bacon.
  • DrummerJoeD
    Options
    Love turkey bacon. Less mess. Less time. I love to bake regular bacon- if you've never tried baking it than you should! But, I love all things turkey so turkey bacon is great for me because I can microwave a few slices in the morning which I find to be better tasting than microwaveable regular bacon.

How long do you microwave them for? The package I got said microwaving wasn't advised so I'm not sure how long to microwave them for.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxouJM6RtbJCVFTg9mI1OW8X9x_LU2rPBO5y6aCSzxsk9DJnsH
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like center cut pork bacon. At the end of the day, I used to think I needed turkey bacon, but at 30 cals a slice, that's 90 cals for 3 slices, and I can get 3 slices of center cut bacon for 60-70 cals, and it tastes better. I think turkey bacon has less saturated fat, but I don't eat a ton of bacon anyway, so I'd rather have the "good stuff".
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've tried turkey bacon and it made me angry.

I'll stick to my regular cut (not center cut) bacon and fit it into my macros. I'm glad you found a good one though!!
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you are eating turkey bacon?
    If it is because of issues with pork, carry on. If it is because of some preconceived idea that turkey bacon is healthier, I challenge you to compare nutrition labels. A good quality center cut bacon will have more protein and less fat and calories (and best of all taste like BACON) than any turkey bacon I have found.

To make turkey into something that resembles bacon they have to modify it so much that it is no longer a healthy choice.
  • DrummerJoeD
    Options
    If it is because of issues with pork, carry on. If it is because of some preconceived idea that turkey bacon is healthier, I challenge you to compare nutrition labels. A good quality center cut bacon will have more protein and less fat and calories (and best of all taste like BACON) than any turkey bacon I have found.

To make turkey into something that resembles bacon they have to modify it so much that it is no longer a healthy choice.

Just trying out something new. Last time I went shopping I picked up all sorts of things that I haven't tried before. I think it tastes good.

I've been trying to find a quality center cut bacon brand, but I haven't found any that has less than 30 calories and 135 mg of sodium per slice. What brand do you recommend?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've only tried it in the Starbucks breakfast sandwich. I thought it was pretty yummy! Not bacon, certainly, but pretty yummy in its own right.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I prefer regular bacon. Have you looked at the ingredients in Turkey Bacon-yuck. It is just like Egg Beaters. Not an egg listed anywhere. I took the containers into my doctor and asked her which was better the chemicals or the real thing. She finally agreed with me about the bacon. We agreed to 1 egg and egg whites. No Egg Beaters! Try Jimmy Dean Turkey sausage. It is awesome
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I must be the only person who prefers turkey bacon over regular bacon. I love regular bacon for flavor to other dishes (and using bacon fat to cook eggs in), but on it's own, it's just too much for me. I guess I'm a freak. I'm pretty sure the Epic Meal Time boys would burn me at the stake. I loved Trader Joe's turkey bacon, but I can't get it now. But if you're near to a TJ's, try it. It's good. But if you prefer regular bacon, eat that. It's better to eat a little of something you love, then hoards of something you hate in my opinion.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Just trying out something new. Last time I went shopping I picked up all sorts of things that I haven't tried before. I think it tastes good.

I've been trying to find a quality center cut bacon brand, but I haven't found any that has less than 30 calories and 135 mg of sodium per slice. What brand do you recommend?

Make your own

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=237_12&products_id=56
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I adore turkey bacon and like the above poster prefer turkey over regular! Have tried every brand and it truly doesn't matter - it is all good and I've learned to leave it in the microwave an extra 20 seconds per slice to get the crisp factor.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like butterball turkey bacon - the 65% less fat version. It is 25 calories per slice. I know its full of processed crap and even though I am striving to eat unprocessed foods, if turkey bacon, yogurt and wheat bread are my processed "junk" I can accept that. Also, you should try microwaving it longer to get it crispy. I microwave 4 pieces for 3:30 and it is very crisp! Just watch because if its burnt its disgusting, hard and inedible (unlike real bacon which I enjoy burnt).
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I have tried and like both turkey sausage and turkey bacon however like the poster above stated it is for health issues after gall bladder removal I don't (can't) eat pork.... so I had to substitute... I fry the turkey bacon just like I would pork its crispy but not the way regular pork bacon is its more the consistency of jerky when its done... :smile:
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

If you like it, then by all means, eat what you like.
    My favorite bacon is from a local butcher shop... Most of the varieties I have seen have anywhere from 80mg of sodium (for the reduced sodium varieties) to about 175mg for regular. I limit the amount of sodium I eat to reduce water retention not for medical reasons. So, 40mg of sodium is really nothing for me. I'll reduce somewhere else - such as, I won't salt my eggs to compensate.