How long will it take to lose 80 pounds?

Options
Just wanted to know how long it should take to lose 80 pounds. I’m 21 yrs old and I started at 224 lbs two months ago. Ever since then I’ve been working out 4x a week (40 min of cardio and weight training) and eating 1500-1600 cal per day. Stepped on the scale this morning at 209.8 which is a 14 lb loss in 2 months. Is this a normal rate of weight loss and how long should I expect it will take to shed the remaining 66 pounds?

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Figure about two pounds a week max, then give yourself extra time for fluctuations in weight.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, life and physiology is part of the equation in the time it takes.
    There really is no end point...you have to do this for the rest of your life.Hopefully you are not doing this for a specific event but have the mentality of "my life must change". Its a daily challenge.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    takes as long as it takes. your weight loss will also slow down the closer to goal you want. i recommend setting it in 10 pound increments so you still feel a sense of accomplishment. thats what i did for a looong time.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It will take as long as it takes.

^^This!
    Just stay on track and don't let the occasional drawbacks discourage you. That's all that is important to reach your goal.
    It is NOT a race, time doesn't matter.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'd plan on around 2 years, give or take a few months.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It took me 15 months to lose 80 pounds.

I averaged about a pound a week during most of my weight loss except for the start and the ending which were both super slow.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much excess fat you have. When I weighed 350lbs, dropping those first 50 came quick! Now than I'm at 168, I'm aiming for 160 by New Year's.

Over the years, the basic rule is that it's going to take twice as long as you think. Weight loss, muscle gain...it takes time.
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,957 Member
    Options
    You're at a rate of just over 1.5 lb. lost per week. That's about the max you can do in a 'healthy' weight-loss program, so I'd say keep doing what you're doing, as long as you feel good and don't make yourself ill.

At 1 lb. per week it would take you about 9 months to lose 78 pounds. At your current rate, you are on track to lose that in about a year.

My experience is that I lost about 15 lbs. initially with ease, but then I hit a barrier, and had to wait about a month before I saw more weight loss. If you seem to 'plateau' don't be discouraged, just keep doing what worked to lose the prior pounds, and you should see the pounds begin dropping again.

If you do hit a 'plateau' I'd also suggest doing a careful inventory of your eating and exercise, to be sure you're not overestimating calories burned or underestimating calories eaten. I think part of my problem was adding some fruit to my diet, but underestimating the calories in those servings (or underestimating the serving size). Once I got that accounted for correctly, I started seeing better results again.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I lost 90lbs in a year. It's taken me a whole 'nother year to lose the last 10.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm at 70 lbs lost, it's been around a year and a half (possibly more, I don't have an exact date)