What are your exercise plans for the fall?

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,572 Member
    A lot more hiking
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think Fall (or Autumn as we call it over here) starts on Sept 22nd - I'm doing my first ever closed roads sportive on the 23rd.

Event is called the Velo South, 100 miles in beautiful countryside and including some good climbs in the South Downs. The Downs are actually "ups" - a line of hills near the south coast of England.

No traffic will be an absolute joy and lots of new roads and scenery.

https://www.velosouth.com/the-route/
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    More walks/hikes in the woods, beautiful fall color and best of all, NO BUGS!
  • DreaDarling87
    DreaDarling87 Posts: 46 Member
    I will definitely be doing more outdoor activities come fall and I really can't wait to start doing my evening walks again. It's so hot here in summer that I don't want to leave the comfort of my air conditioned home unless I have to. Even well into the evening it is too hot to enjoy the outdoors.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Being able to do more than slow walks and limited weights. I had surgery on Aug. 2nd, so I'm in recovery for a bit.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I signed up for a metric century in Oct in CA wine country, so ramping up on my riding again. I'll continue strength training twice a week - it turns out I love my new muscles :) . And running - I want to work on increasing mileage. I've been toying just a bit with doing a sprint tri next year, but that would depend on being able to get some swim coaching, since I haven't actually done any swimming for years. I want to get in some hiking too, when the weather cools off.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I'm looking forward to it not being so warm inside the gym.
  • NorthCascades
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Oh that is such a beautiful photo!!! I am looking forward to fall so much!!! Right now summer is still in full swing here in FL... we won't hit the 70's during the day until probably late October/early November , and then the rain slows down a bit too... right now the woods are completely flooded, water moccasins to boot so I've been avoiding it until fall. I can't wait to get back out there hiking with my pup!!!!

Thanks about the photos! :smile:

We had a bunch of 90+ F days as far back as June, but I don't think we're getting another one this year. It's hard to say. I've swam outdoors in September plenty of years. All the smoke is really bad, though, it's amazing how much sunlight it blocks, it takes about 5 degrees off what it would normally be. But it was in the 70s today and for most of the last week I think.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    More hiking and long walks! The only trouble will be making sure we know when the sun sets. Summer always spoils me.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 593 Member
    Right now I really look forward to be able to run without feeling like I'm going to die. Cycling and mountain hiking might also be on the menu.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Right now I really look forward to be able to run without feeling like I'm going to die. Cycling and mountain hiking might also be on the menu.

Definitely this for me. I'm useless in high temperatures and high humidity. Also you can't get much prettier than New England in the Fall, so I'll be doing plenty of hiking.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Well, fall can't be any wetter than the summer has been, so I guess some dryer conditions would be nice. Haven't been able to hike/mountain bike/trail run in 6 weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Fall is prime cycling time for me. I have to push through summer and 95-100* temps...fall is beautiful and really goes through November for the most part. December and January are hard because that's when we're really cold and it's dark in the AM and dark in the PM...I'll be forcing myself to gear up and ride at lunch this winter...I didn't do that last year because I was being a wuss and just told myself I'd get on my trainer...I did, but not as consistently as I should have.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Spend more time exercising outside as it is brutal here in the Southeast during the summer months. Most likely will be running!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I'm hoping to get some hiking in before the snow flies. It's been so hot, we might have an Indian summer this year, and not get cold until the end of October. OR we could get first snow mid-September. I also drew my tags for hunting this year, so there's the exercise that goes along with that. I'm just hoping it stays warm a while longer so I can enjoy outside activities before someone flips the winter switch. Most years in WY, "Fall" is like that one coolish day you get late summer, then BAM it's 25 degrees outside and snowing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I'll be walking to appointments around town more and walking just for exercise. I plan to set a weekly photo theme each week and get out taking pictures.
    I'm trying to follow a workout video rotation from you tube and will continue with that.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    What a fun thread!

I'm going to try some new fitness classes at the gym - I have my eye on one that starts early enough for me to hit Trader Joe afterwards and still make it to work on time.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,867 Member
    Finally drop the home weights and join that gym.
    Carry on commute walking. Or rollerblading, but it's pretty nasty in the traffic or when it rains.
    Maybe more running!
  • NorthCascades
    Some of you will understand this and others will have no idea.

Yesterday smoke in the air blotted out the evening sun. Last week Seattle had its worst air quality on record, and we're about to smash that record.

Rain can't come soon enough. Put the red destroyer out.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Some of you will understand this and others will have no idea.

Yesterday smoke in the air blotted out the evening sun. Last week Seattle had its worst air quality on record, and we're about to smash that record.

Rain can't come soon enough. Put the red destroyer out.

I lived in the area (Auburn) as a teen. Loved the beauty and outdoor lifestyle. Family left in the post-Boeing-SST-loss crumbling economy. Still have cousins/etc. out there. Been back a few times, but not in 20 yrs.

Somewhere in my basement I have an old bumper sticker, "Seattleites Don't Tan, They Rust," making fun of the rainy nature of the area. I am with you in wishing for more rain now to help out.

I frankly am having a hard time fully visualizing the magnitude of the problems out West right now. My wife's cousin is in the Tahoe-Redding (CA) area. We here out East don't get a good handle from the news on how bad and how widespread the fires are.

Good luck.