How important are Multivitamins and Nutritional Supplements

Options
I currently take a multivitamin that has hair, skin & nail support, immune defense and probiotics, as well as an Omega 3 supplement. I can't say I notice a difference whether I take them or not. I'm looking to pare down, and cut unnecessary spending. I otherwise eat a healthy and diet without any significant issues, and I have excellent blood work.

Are these extras necessary? How many of you take supplements? Which ones are important to you? Do you notice a difference?

Basically looking to compare notes here.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you should take what your doctor tells you. Generally waste of money. I don't take any, and I can't say I felt a difference when I did.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,982 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D absolutely changed everything for me.

I've taken general multivitamin/multimineral supplements all my adult life. My doctor says, "Save your money." I say, "It costs me $0.03 per day, I can afford it."

No way to know, but I figure it's worth it for my peace of mind.

The D was recommended by my doctor though...after I'd been taking it for five years already.:lol: thanks, doc.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    They are just expensive pee. If you don't have any particular deficiency you already know about, and you eat a reasonably well-balanced diet, you don't need them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I only take B12 because I don't like meat, and I also take iron intermittently whenever I test low, but that's about it. I don't think it hurts supplementing with a multivitamin especially when dieting, but it's not exactly important.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Mostly a waste of money. Unless actually recommended by a physician. I take a multivitamin with iron as when I was pregnant with my daughter I developed anemia. I am still very susceptible to becoming anemic even with a diet of high iron foods. I also take a daily vitamin D supplement per my doctor's recommendation.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,518 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick with the probiotic. Your gut flora is make or break with staying healthy. Also, depending on where you live, our bodies do not make vitamin d, so unless you get fifteen minutes of sun exposure each day take the d.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    There more of insurance/ fill in what your diet doesn’t. The only supplement I will always take regardless is creatine. Or if you’re deficient in something important such as D or B or iron...etc for some reason then supplement, but other than that, while food sources are better
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    dolcezza25 wrote: »
    I currently take a multivitamin that has hair, skin & nail support, immune defense and probiotics, as well as an Omega 3 supplement. I can't say I notice a difference whether I take them or not. I'm looking to pare down, and cut unnecessary spending. I otherwise eat a healthy and diet without any significant issues, and I have excellent blood work.

Are these extras necessary? How many of you take supplements? Which ones are important to you? Do you notice a difference?

Basically looking to compare notes here.

You could always stop taking them and keep an eye out for adverse effects. Extra hair loss would probably take a few months to kick in.

You can read up on Omega 6 and Omega 3, compare with your diet, and see if it's likely that you need to take it.

Blood tests did show I should supplement with Vitamin D, but that would have been a logical assumption after I moved from Florida to Massachusetts.

As far as costs, never pay retail! I always compare between iherb.com and Amazon, and sometimes check between https://www.swansonvitamins.com and https://www.emersonecologics.com as well. (I don't think Emerson is open to the public. My mother and I place an order once or twice a year using my aunt's login.)