Frustrated: now it's my toe :P

Options
Panini911
Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
As careful as I try to be, not increasing mileage too quickly, keeping steady paces to not overdue it, seems some new quirky sorenesss or pain always pops up and I struggle to know what to do, what I can run thru and what needs resting.

So this week, on a rest week after a race (so running easy 5k's) the only new thing is I started Yoga to work on the stretching (to avoid more achs and pain/injury). But my big toes feels weird and sometimes sore (the nail area). Just randomly. I did start using thicker socks as there was some irritation on the side of the heel.

Looking into new shoes again (maybe my shoes are too small and only noticing now after enough mileage? I have two newish pairs i've been running in for 2-3mts). They are having my size in another pair brought in and will likely buy a new pair later next week. Looking to size up (half a size bigger).

Do I rest it, do I somehow protect it (wrap it)? I have a long run tomorrow morning. DO people run thru loosing a toenail (not that I think that is what will happen...)

Otherwise everything seems mostly ok with the stretching, yoga and a massage on Friday.

Where can I go for answers to some random questions haha!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've never lost a toenail in 4 years of running, but I'd go with bigger shoes. I go a full size up. Half a size is ok for shorter distances (I have a pair just a half size up) but I prefer more room for longer runs and when it's really warm.

If it's nail pain then i would run through it, joint pain no.
  • Panini911
    Options
    but when is too big...too big? haha
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    go to a dedicated, local running shop and get fitted for shoes.

you might pay a few dollars more, but you're also paying for their expert opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    but when is too big...too big? haha

Get fit, someone can help you figure that out.

I have wide feet so I go for a wide fit anyway and a brand that are known for having a wide toe box.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Too big is when you get blisters from your feet sliding around in your shoes. I find that I am ok with losing a toenail once a year or so, but I will not tolerate blisters on every run. Trimming the toenails more aggressively will keep me from losing nails, too - but I may be increasing my risk of ingrown nails.

If you're not willing or able to make your own assessment, getting fitted at the running store is a good option.

Edited to add: Before I lose nails, the toe is swollen because there is a blister underneath the nail. I cannot recommend that you do as I do, because I am told it's a horrible idea to pop a blister. Also, it's terrifying to slide a needle under your nail to let the fluids out and relieve the pressure. Usually, when it happens to me, it's after the big race, and I was already going to take some time off, anyway. I don't think I'd run on it until the swelling was resolved.
  • Panini911
    Options
    I have a pair that is half a size larger that i used for indoor gym I may pull out for tomorrow's long run (and will do the ankle lock shoe lace tie). I don't really care to go back to the gym (about 10 days before my membership is officially cancelled) other than maybe to try out the new shoes I buy on a treadmill :P

no blisters, just some irritation (but no bubble) on the left foot that comes and goes.

Can check again at the store tomorrow (the run leaves from there), when I was there yesterday the lady who helped me on top of working at the store for years is a tri-athlete and works in as a fitness instructor. Not sure when she is back but I can talk to other runners and the other staff. I think the plan will be to buy another pair of shoes, just need to decide on what pair. it's hard to try a bunch out at $170/shoe :P The ones I bought were not much cheaper and like I said, fairly new and were working fine until now.
  • cathy196051
    cathy196051 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Before buying new shoes I would go back to thinner socks as that is something you said you recently changed. When I was running a lot I tired those thurlo socks that were supposed to be good for long runs. They gave me blisters, as do any thick socks. I can only run in thin socks with only very light cushioning if any.
    Whenever a new ache or pain happens first thing to ask you self is if you have changed something.
    Good luck in solving your problem
  • Panini911
    Options
    I did try going back to thiner socks, but will need to let the irritation pass and see id that does it.

I was considering new shoes to move one of my current to walking shoes, but my gym shoes will be coming back into rotation as I quit :p

I ran 13k today and toes were fine. Not 100% pleased with my left foot but toe was fine ;)