Why am I not loosing weight!?

Options
I eat around about 800 - 1000 calories a day although it's usually the lower end. I also do about 1 - 1.5 hours of exercise mostly everyday.

However i'm not loosing weight or noticing a difference.

I weigh 103lb and would like to loose a few pounds, especially around my stomach where I seem to have little bulge of fat!

Thank you :) !

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How long have you been following the plan? Also, 800-1000 is way too low. Where did you come up with those numbers?
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary. reset your diary so others can see and comment.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How tall are you. In all likelihood, you're not eating enough. 800-1000 calories a day is pretty low, even for a small female. 103 is also pretty low, so unless you're under 5'0", losing a few more pounds just may not happen. You may want to consider gradually upping your intake and look into heavier resistance training to add some muscle. This can create a leaner look, even if you weigh more. If you dislike the gain, you can cut back down, still doing resistance training, and keep whatever muscle you gained and hopefully lose the last bit of fat.
  • mmaldo08
    Options
    How long have you been working out and dieting?
    It's not healthy for you to be eating so little, you might be trying to lose too much weight in too little time.
    First you must calculate your BMR:
    I'll do it with my weight for now, you can try it later if you wish :)

BMR for Marisol= 655 + (4.3 x weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) + (4.7 x age in years)
    = 655 + (4.3 x 135.2lbs) + (4.7 x 66in) + (4.7 x 23) = 655 + 581.36 + 310.2 + 108.1 = 1,654.66 calories needed to maintain my current weight- the amount of calories your body needs to keep breathing, heart beating, the essentials.

Now, you must calculate your activity level. If you are sedentary, remaining inactive with little to no exercise for most of the day, multiply your BMR by 20 percent. If you perform light activity, multiply your BMR by 30 percent. For active individuals exercising most days, multiply your BMR by 40%, and for those that are very active, multiply your BMR by 50%. Add this number to your BMR, and you now know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/calories/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-to-lose-weight.html#b)

SO, mine was 1,654.66 calories x .4 (because I am pretty active-I work as a bartender so I am constantly on the move and I exercise quite a bit) = 661.86
    YOU ADD THIS AMT TO YOUR BMR AMT- this is the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight
    Mine is 1,654.66 + 661.86 = 2,316.52 calories PER DAY.

Now that you know this, you need to calculate how much calories you should intake to LOSE weight. The healthier way to go is to aim for a weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week give or take. You don't want to aim too high because your body will do great for the first week or two then give up on you after that because it won't be receiving enough nutrition to do so. So let's say you want to lose 2 lbs per week.
    since 3,500 calories = 1 lb...
    2 lbs x 3500 calories/1 lb = 7,000 calories per week that need to be CUT from your daily intake.
    7,000 cal / 7 days = 1,000 calories per day that need to be CUT from EA DAY.

So, back to my 2,316.52 calories that I need to exist and remain at my current weight...
    2,316.52 cal- 1,000 cal = 1,316.52 cal per day

Alright, now that we have established how much it is we need to eat in order to lose weight, you must also take into consideration that you might be building some muscle too. Muscle is not a bad thing, but it definitely weighs more than fat does, so don't be ashamed to keep the gym work up! Maybe if you're looking at leaning out, try a little more cardio than strength training for a couple of weeks, shift back and forth, it definitely helps. Don't limit yourself to 800 calories though. Your body needs nutrition to be able to do anything, especially losing weight. Give it protein, give it carbs when it asks for it, just don't overindulge (that's my problem). Good luck and I hope that helped a little :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are undereating and overexercising and likely already in a healthy weight range for your body. It might be time to switch to maintenance and really concentrate on strength training and body recomposition.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an eating disorder. See a counselor or you doctor.
  • ken_hogan
    Options

After reading the other post you have, I have to agree with seeing a counselor or a doc. Weighing 103 pounds and wanting to lose? How tall are you...I didn't see that mentioned in either post.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    You are undereating and overexercising and likely already in a healthy weight range for your body. It might be time to switch to maintenance and really concentrate on strength training and body recomposition.

this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

This, your body perception is way off. At 103 you don't need to lose more weight!
  • pud999
    pud999 Posts: 5
    Options
    I really don't have an eating disorder, I love eating! I just get to the point where I don't want any more food in the day :)
  • pud999
    pud999 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm about 5'1, I just seem to have a little fat on my stomach that won't shift. I want a flat stomach the rest of my body in my opinion is ok
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'1, I just seem to have a little fat on my stomach that won't shift. I want a flat stomach the rest of my body in my opinion is ok

you need to start eating a lot more and lifting. I used a TDEE calculator with your stats and your TDEE is probably in between 16-1800. A 10% deficit is around 1550 calories. Eat that much & start lifting. GL.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I really don't have an eating disorder, I love eating! I just get to the point where I don't want any more food in the day :)

Then eat things higher in fat like whole milk, peanut butter, avacados, nuts, etc.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Try cutting down on cardio and doing some heavy weightlifting. Maybe eat a little more, but at 5'1" without significant cardio 1200 calories a day is a good starting point. (You're in the minority being short and already very lean, so some people will assume you are starving yourself, because some bigger people are starving themselves on 1200 calories. And with so much exercise, you kind of are too right now.)

I recommend tracking your progress primarily by measurement rather than weight, because you have so little to lose a salty meal could mask your entire goal.