Trying again....and need encouragement.

Options
Crochetluvr
Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
I started on MFP in May of 2012 and successfully lost 50 pounds when I lost my partner to a heart attack. I became depressed and lost my home, my sense of purpose and spent 3 years in limbo. I let myself go and now realize I am undoing all the good I did back then. I need to get serious, lose the weight I gained back and get to my goal, which I was 10 pounds away from when everything fell apart.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, PTSD, bipolar disorder and OCD as well as T2 diabetes. These make it tough for me to stick to my plan but I know I need to somehow overcome and get myself back on track. I started yesterday logging my food and am trying to get up the ambition to start exercising again.

I now have a new apartment and a new outlook on life. I want to be able to enjoy it all to the fullest. Getting my weight under control is a major step and I know will greatly improve my issues. I need MFP....I need the discipline, the accountability, the friendships, the support.

I wish everyone new here the best of luck and know that it CAN be done if you want it badly enough.

Replies

• lovinlal1989
    lovinlal1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mercy and I can really relate to your story. I had lost 20 lbs through this app and then my husband died unexpectedly and I gained it all back plus 5 lbs. It's so hard starting over from scratch! Today is day 3 back on track for me. If you need any support I'm here!
  • zilahmessica
    zilahmessica Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!! I have an entire community of women just like you who I’m helping ....not just lose weight....but gain their life, energy, and sense of purpose back.

I am passionate about helping women write a new story for their life. You are both fighters and survivors!!! That is clear from the small bit you’ve shared. I am here for you!!!!

Hugs,
    Zilahc931aazelxa3.jpeg

This was me Feb 12, 2018 and Aug 12, 2018. I was in a deep dark place in February. I was depressed, exhausted, overwhelmed, and overweight.....and felt like I was dying inside......my life has done a complete 180 since!!!!!!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    Hi, Mercy! SO sorry to hear about your husband....I totally empathize. I lived with my partner for 10 years when he died suddenly. I lost just about everything including myself. It helps to hear others who are finding their way through such pain. Thank you for your support. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    WOW, Zilah...what a transformation! You look amazing! Thank you for your support and for what you are doing to support others. Please add me as a friend....can never have enough of those.
  • LivingMyBestLife49
    LivingMyBestLife49 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I can truly relate to y'alls stories. I lost my husband, sister and grandmother all in a 10 month period and went into a major depression and quit caring about myself.. I know that tbey would want so much better for me, I have been logging everything and walking as much as I can and have lost 27 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. I am learning to love myself again... we can do this and we deserve health and happiness, please feel free to add me if would like, we can all help motivate and encourage each other as we all get healthier... have a blessed day...
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    Geez....to lose SO many loved ones so close together....no wonder you were depressed. I understand. You can add me too. Keep up the awesome work!!
  • LivingMyBestLife49
    LivingMyBestLife49 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you.. not sure how to add or else I would.. feel free to send request and will accept.. hope your day is good
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    My hat is off to you ladies for your courage and determination to rebuild your lives. Good luck on your journey!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    @Crochetluvr I noticed on another post that you mentioned eating under your calorie goal and you thought this was ok - please make sure you're at least achieving your weekly calorie goal (with some higher cal days that balance out the lower cal days) and meeting your nutritional requirements.

900/1000 calories of food is very little and suggests you may be restricting calorie dense things (like fats, or starchy carbs).... Fats are especially important for health and to keep your body functioning. The mfp recommendation is a minimum, aiming for more is perfectly fine. Protein may also be one to keep in check - at least 0.8g per lb of your goal weight. Aiming to maintain your muscle is important and this will help, along with doing some form of resistance training.

Consistent undereating can lead to many problems - just because you feel fine now doesn't mean that you will continue to be fine. Look after your health!
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I am a T2 diabetic and have to be VERY careful with carbohydrates....especially the starchy ones. I avoid pasta, potatoes, rice, bread. That's not to say I never eat them....just occasionally and in great moderation. Carbs are what got me in trouble and what makes my blood sugar go up so much that I need meds to control it. I don't avoid fats....I know they won't hurt me and I don't eat low-fat food. I just keep it moderate so my calories from fat are not excessive.

Thanks for your concern...much appreciated! I lost 50 pounds in 18 months the last time I was on MFP and I even got off my meds. I am determined to do that again. When I get back my mojo to exercise, I will most likely up my calorie intake. But at my age, my metabolism is pretty low and I want to keep things down for the moment.
  • itsker56
    itsker56 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Saddened by your losses of loved ones. Lost my cousin in 2016 - very hard. We were best friends for 59 years, attached at the hip. Jim was an amazing person.
    I'm back and needing motivation. Trying to think of this as a different way of eating. I'm pre-diabetic, so need to watch the carbs. Thanks.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I am a T2 diabetic and have to be VERY careful with carbohydrates....especially the starchy ones. I avoid pasta, potatoes, rice, bread. That's not to say I never eat them....just occasionally and in great moderation. Carbs are what got me in trouble and what makes my blood sugar go up so much that I need meds to control it. I don't avoid fats....I know they won't hurt me and I don't eat low-fat food. I just keep it moderate so my calories from fat are not excessive.

Thanks for your concern...much appreciated! I lost 50 pounds in 18 months the last time I was on MFP and I even got off my meds. I am determined to do that again. When I get back my mojo to exercise, I will most likely up my calorie intake. But at my age, my metabolism is pretty low and I want to keep things down for the moment.

Age doesn't affect your metabolism that much, but being inactive and losing muscle mass will as you get older. Eating enough to keep your body functioning optimally is even more important as we age imo.

You may feel fine undereating now, until you don't - from there, it may take you along time to recover. Eating at least the minimum of 1200 cals every day would be a good plan, getting more calories from protein and fat if you are restricting carbs.