Permethrin and Cycling Gear [Tick Prevention]

Options
mjbnj0001
mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
I will be going on a group ride to a heavily wooded area/gravel trail in a couple of weeks (northwest NJ/Delaware Water Gap area). Lots of ticks, lots of Lyme disease.

Question: any negative experience with using Permethrin on Lycra cycling products? Would you prefer soaking, trigger sprayer or aerosol can (leaning towards trigger)? One of the post-woods tick-check areas is your groin -- any issues with getting the Permethrin on synthetic/gel chamois? Any negative consequences to working up a sweat with Permethrin (e.g., skin absorption)?

I'm going to order some this week. I hope it will still be warm, but I'll switch to long-legged cycling tights (I don't have mountain bike kit although I've been riding a trail bike all this year] and high socks to form a physical barrier, and use the Permethrin on the pants, socks and shoes. Not sure about a need to protect my jersey as well. I don't expect to be actually tromping through woods and fields, but there will be trailside brush and some grassy and/or (potentially) muddy unimproved areas to traverse.

Any advice welcome. I've been a DEET user for my more casual woodsy/outdoor experiences, and haven't used high-preventative measures for the mostly well-groomed trails around here. Not much bothers me, but I have anxiety over Lyme. I have known more than a few people who got it.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've heard you should spray not soak it.

Permethrin is completely harmless to humans and dogs, but toxic to cats.

It didn't work very well for me but I may have done something wrong. Other people say it's a game changer.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    I've heard you should spray not soak it.

Permethrin is completely harmless to humans and dogs, but toxic to cats.

It didn't work very well for me but I may have done something wrong. Other people say it's a game changer.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Permethrin spray is fine to use on clothing (do in advance, it holds up for a wash or 2 even).
    Not recommended to apply to the skin directly though, just inanimate objects (not a huge deal if you do, note Rx strength is 5% vs OTC sprays in the 0.5% concentration; permethrin 5% can be retained up to 8-14 hours when used for scabies).

DEET (ideally 30+%, higher concentration peaks out how long it's effective/application freq. - diminishing returns) is fine (personally, I like using Picaridin - just as effective just slightly less sticky)...if using sunscreen, apply SPF first before DEET
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Update: got the Sawyer trigger spray permethrin (0.5% as @Keto_Vampire mentioned). FYI, there are warnings on direct skin application/contact, inhalation, eyes, ingestion, etc. - seems to be ok with contact once the clothes/gear dry. Claims "effective for 6 washes."
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That's a low concentration, apply lots of it. Good luck! :smile:
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Note: DEET is more prone to damaging plastics, clothing, etc. vs. Picaridin
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I live in tick country. Permethrin on all clothes works great. Dampen them, but don't soak them, and let them dry for a day or so. I like the trigger sprayer, but the aerosol is just fine. Sawyer also makes a picaridin spray in an aerosol can that is just amazing. That goes directly on your skin and it's our go to during MTB season. It doesn't smell nearly as bad as DEET. I have also used DEET 100 during black fly season. It's not my favorite, but it works well on black flies and gnats.