Increasing my range because spikes bug me

CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
edited August 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am increasing my range to 10 pounds - the 150s. I will actually try to maintain at 152 to 156. Spikes that go outside my range bug me. A lot. I know that makes no sense but that's how it is. So purely as a mental game with myself I am increasing my range even though I have no intention of ever really weighing more than 4 pounds less than the top. Using a 5 pound range I had a spike take me above the top and a couple of others take me disturbingly close.
I am less concerned about low spikes. I checked one yesterday just for grins - I weighed before and after an 11 mile SUP paddle and dropped 2 pounds. Oddly enough, the most common downward spikes for me are the day after I indulge myself but stay close to or within goal because it is usually a calorie dense food and I often get back within goal by taking a 6 to 8 mile walk in the evening. So less by weight in the gut, an exercise near bed that will dehydrate me some and I will be asleep before I fully re-hydrate.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Well here is an example of weight fluctuations from just today. Yesterday, I did not lift. My gym is closed on Sundays. I also did not move as much as per my usual days off. I ate less fiber and had a whole pint of blue bell ice cream, not some low fat stuff, but the real deal. My weight was 3 lbs lighter than yesterday. It just happens I guess.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    That's a good plan. Your range can be whatever you want it to be... anything that helps the mental game of fluctuations.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    That's a good plan. Your range can be whatever you want it to be... anything that helps the mental game of fluctuations.

It is a mental mind kitten some days... lol..
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This might be a good time to start using a trending app. It helps even out the spikes so you can focus on keeping your trend line in range and not worry so much about the fluctuations.

Yes, this. I also find that it's not so much what my range is, as what the upper limit is. I am honestly not going to be as stressed if I go under my range (which has never happened!) as I am if I go above my range. So the upper end of my range is my original goal weight of 115, which I definitely do not want to go over. I usually maintain around 113 and I consider my range 110-115.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I understand logically that the trend is what matters and even without an app I can tell the trend is lower (lowest weight in decades this morning). But spikes up to or above my upper limit stress me out anyway My range now is 150-160. This morning I weighed 152.4. If I can stabilize around that weight I will be happy; a spike of over 7 pounds is very unlikely.