Any tips on stretches?

Options
maryadavies4667
maryadavies4667 Posts: 58 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I've had a achy ankle since I was a teenager (which is why I refuse to do any exercises that aren't low impact; I don't want to aggravate it. That means walking, not running.). It's due to no arch in my left foot.

I can't get orthopedics right now,(Medicare/Medicaid doesn't cover those, annoyingly enough) but I was thinking I should look into gently stretching that, and I may get some marbles since I hear picking those up with your toes can help with the no-arch problem.

Do you guys have any ideas on stretches I can do with that ankle? Thanks.

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Look up ankle mobility exercises on Google. You will likely find information websites and videos on different stretches you can do to strengthen your ankles. There is a lot of good info out there!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've had Achilles tendinitis in the past. One of my PT exercises involved stretching my ankle using a balance board. I ended up buying one to use at home and still use it now. This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W9B9PPO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set it in front of a wall and stand on it on one foot. Stretch my foot forward and back (i.e., point toes down and then up) 20 times. Then tilt foot side to side 20 times. Then flex ankle around clockwise 20 times. Then counterclockwise 20 times. I do it with both feet, even though I only had the tendinitis on one side.

I also do the standard sit on the floor with your legs in front of you, roll up a towel and loop it around your foot and then pull toward you for 30 seconds (3 reps.) And bodyweight calf raises, accentuating the down stretch.