Dehydration??

Options
Over the past year, my blood pressure has been very low. Sitting it is between 40-55 and during exercise I rarely get to 130 (even when I am pushing it at a high pace for several minutes). I have noticed that when I go from sitting to standing I even have that "Woah" feeling and need a moment to steady myself. Can these all be signs of chronic dehydration?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    walters514 wrote: »
    Over the past year, my blood pressure has been very low. Sitting it is between 40-55 and during exercise I rarely get to 130 (even when I am pushing it at a high pace for several minutes). I have noticed that when I go from sitting to standing I even have that "Woah" feeling and need a moment to steady myself. Can these all be signs of chronic dehydration?

What do you mean by 40-55 and 130?

Blood pressure has two numbers.

Do you mean 130/40 or 130/55? If so, you'd better go to the Dr immediately. That top number (systolic blood pressure) is all right, but the bottom number (diastolic blood pressure) is low.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

Are you dehydrated?
    What's your electrolyte consumption like?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

those numbers sound like heart rate not blood pressure?

that feeling when you get up is possibly low blood pressure though.

the colour of your pee will tell you if you are dehydrated or not?
  • walters514
    walters514 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...not blood pressure...that's on the low normal scale. I meant heart rate. Urine is normal...not too yellow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...not blood pressure...that's on the low normal scale. I meant heart rate. Urine is normal...not too yellow.

so what make you think you're showing signs of chronic dehydration?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, have you been to see your doctor?
  • Felix2678
    Felix2678 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should see the Dr. and have your regular yearly physical.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What you're describing sounds more like low blood pressure, low blood sugar or something like that. Why are you thinking dehydration? You should get a check up regardless.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options

I would be thinking low electrolytes rather than dehydration.

But your Dr can send you for a blood test to check that.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of dehydration are usually nausea, dizziness, headache, fatigue, etc. Like people above said, it sounds more like electrolytes and you should see a doctor for a blood test. Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "doesn't sound like dehydration but more blood sugar or electrolytes"
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    It sounds like orthostatic hypotension. I have it often, especially in the summer. It is definitely worse when I'm overheated and exercising hard. It usually isn't serious, but if it happens often, go to your doctor.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orthostatic-hypotension/symptoms-causes/syc-20352548
  • williamsjmPDX
    williamsjmPDX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have that! My blood pressure is low and my resting heart rate is 55+-. I'm a fainter! If I get up too fast down I go. I have been for as long as I can remember - I'm 54 years old.

I passed-out on an airplane twice in one flight - that was more than a little embarrassing. They hooked me up to oxygen. . . I've been to the Dr and they said something about the vagus nerve and to be aware of the trigger - standing up too fast. My daughter "suffers" from it too. We've paid attention to hydration and haven't seen a correlation. It's just kinda the way we are.

If I'm on the floor stretching and stand up too quickly I get light headed - yoga can sometimes be an adventure. I can get light headed doing repeats and sometimes running hills. Altitude isn't kind to me - anything above ~ 5000ft gives me a little trouble.

It won't hurt to get checked out.

I shouldn't admit this but I've always enjoyed passing out. I have a crazy vivid dream that seems to last forever but is really only a few seconds, and I have a few seconds of a sort of euphoric buzz as I come too - and sometimes a bump on the head . . .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like postural hypotension, doesn't sound like dehydration - your Doctor is your first port of call.

If you are very fit then the low resting HR isn't that unusual
    Perhaps more interesting is that your exercise HR is so low when you are young, something to mention to your Doctor. (I assume you aren't on Beta blockers?).
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a low heart rate (39-40 average resting heart rate and I see it go down to 30 once in a while. It goes up to normal ranges for my age under exercise conditions.) I asked my doctor, and he said there are a few conditions that can cause that (some of those are serious conditions). After running a few tests he said he could eliminate everything bad, which left exercise induced barycardia, a byproduct of my training and nothing to worry about.