Portions, weights and measures confusion.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    Ah OK, I thought I was hallucinating! (I think I remember the not so nice comment)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Ah OK, I thought I was hallucinating! (I think I remember the not so nice comment)

I missed it! PM me the gist of it! I'm so curious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    eisenbau wrote: »
    You are missing the point. Why should I have to wade through rows of the garbage that has been entered to find something meaningful? Example, a slice of apple pie can be anything from 170 to 515 calories. How do I know the size of the 'slice'??? If I buy apple pie in a bakery and know its about 150 grammes, I should be able to quickly find an entry based on weight and not waste time scrolling down a meaningless list. And having the entries verified is just crazy! See example below (and by the way there are over 100 entries in the database using 'apple' and 'slice'......)n59jvrm887im.png

Due to the cluttered, glitchy database, I would never pay for Premium.

"Pie, apple, prepared from recipe" sounds like an entry that MFP pulled from the USDA database, and when I look at it, the fact that it has both "piece" and weight options seems to confirm it.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)

Since most of the entries I use either come from the USDA database or are recipes I enter myself, I make the MFP database work for me with tolerable aggravation.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Typically, if you're more specific, you'll get better options - apple, raw instead of apple. Or type usda in your search.

For prepared foods, it's just a guess anyway... but you'll get better at it with time (buying a pie from a place that gives nutrition information, for example, will make it easier for you to compare your own slice with that one).

I agree that the database needs work but unfortunately, it's made by users... and people like sharing useless entries.

WTF? Where have you been, woman?! Did I invoke you???? :)

This is a zombie thread.

Well, that's just mean!

:)
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    or search using a brand name like "McDonald's Apple Pie" or "Costco Apple Pie". i notice there are more specific serving sizes that way usually - like these when i looked for Costco Apple Pie and Sara Lee Apple Pie:

Lattice Apple Pie
    Costco, 125 grams or 4.4 oz, 430 calories

Apple Pie
    Sara Lee, 0.125 (1/8) Pie (121g), 340 calories

drat - i only just noticed that this was a necro thread.