3 months postpartum, can’t lose weight no matter what.

Options
In the last two years, I was able to lose about fifty pounds in six months and keep it off until last year. Last October I got pregnant, gained almost fifty pounds and gave birth at 187. (I’m only 5’0). It’s been 11 weeks since having the baby and I have been stuck at 154 pounds for 7 weeks. I’m so upset that I feel depressed and sad all the time over my inability to lose weight, only because I know I’m doing what I should be and what I’ve done to lose it before. I eat between 1,200 and 1,400 calories a day, I am not breastfeeding and on top of that I’m also on Vyvanse, an Adderall booster mid-day and I take one fat burner pill in the morning from Cute Nutrition. Somehow still, with all of this going on and everything definitely being set for ideal weight loss, my body will not let go of a single pound. Sometimes I will lose one or two and it will come right back on, it’s driving me crazy and I don’t understand. Tomorrow I meet with my doctor to discuss hormones and my thyroid and I plan on asking to have these things tested because I am at my wits end. Does my hormone or thyroid balance sound like a probable cause of what’s going on here? Has anyone else been through the same thing? Just asking for experiences, not medical advice.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I used to drop weight easily before I gave birth. Then it was effing impossible. Then after learning things (about food, exercise, hormones) it started to drop off. Now I can drop it off relatively easily again. But it has taken me YEARS to get to the point I am now. It took me ONE YEAR to lose 8 kilos. Now i'm back to losing 500g-1kg per week if I want to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been through exact same thing 3 times. My body would not lose weight for 12 weeks post partum. I lost an initial 5-10 lbs from day of birth to day I got home from hospital, but after that, nothing for almost 12 weeks.

I also didn’t breastfeed and used a food scale to measure all my food to the gram! So I understand the frustration totally! After that 12 week mark I stared losing (despite doing same things I was!) 1-2 lbs per week.

Please be kind to yourself and your body. You just went through something so major, and your hormones are still adjusting. Believe me, I get it. I have been there 100%.

Talk to your doctor, keep tracking and logging your food, try and walk with baby if you can, and be patient. You will get there!

-also, looks from your post you’ve lost 30 lbs since giving birth. Am I reading that right? Keep up the good work! Also, congrats and ENJOY your sweet little one. This time will pass so fast.