Question for the number crunchers

Options
I recently reviewed my fitness records for the past year. I gained 5 lbs. (from 119-124) In that same time period my bodyfat scale registered a change of +1.2%.

So, since I gained 4.2% total body weight, but only increased fat by 1.2%, does that mean I gained lean body mass? And how much?

I probably could figure this one out on my own, since I was once a math geek, but then I had children and they have eaten most of my brain cells, so I`d rather not try to fire up the remaining brain cells!

Can anyone help?

Replies

• jrv462
    jrv462 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    124 (ending weight) x .012 (additional fat) = 1.48 lbs of fat increase.
    5 (total gain) - 1.48 (fat gain) = 3.52 lbs of lean gain.

Did I do it right?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    124 (ending weight) x .012 (additional fat) = 1.48 lbs of fat increase.
    5 (total gain) - 1.48 (fat gain) = 3.52 lbs of lean gain.

Did I do it right?

I hope so! I like those numbers. Thx.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Body Fat scals are not accurate. The only way to tell is to get weighed under water. Have you been lifting weights? That's the only way you'd gain muscle.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it, it's only 5lbs., but the good part is, you only weigh 124lbs. I have never and probably will never weigh 124lbs. (Too small for my frame and body type) So embrace and eat healthy and exercise, then you'll know if it's lean body mass or not.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Body Fat scals are not accurate. The only way to tell is to get weighed under water. Have you been lifting weights? That's the only way you'd gain muscle.

I really dont take the bodyfat scale to be accurate, but I am looking at the change over time using the same scale. I am hoping that the scale is at least consistent!

And yes, I strength train 2x per week, and do cardio 4x per week. I have to confess that I really dont like strength training, but I love a nice run. It is great stress reliever and gives my mind a chance to roam free! I run because I like it, and I lift because I know I should.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    Don't sweat it, it's only 5lbs., but the good part is, you only weigh 124lbs. I have never and probably will never weigh 124lbs. (Too small for my frame and body type) So embrace and eat healthy and exercise, then you'll know if it's lean body mass or not.

Trying to look at it like that! But because I am short and small-boned 124 is not tiny for me. And my weight does not tend to settle in my limbs. I have skinny arms and legs even when fat! Adding inches to my thighs would be a GOOD thing! And two years ago I had lost down to 112. So the gain is really around 10 lbs!

I'm at least trying to put a positive spin on it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Unless you worked out, the weight gain was probably not muscle/lean body mass. Sorry! It's error in the way the mathematical models work - and the BFI has a lot and those measurements you put into it are a lot sloppier than your scale is.

Don't worry about those numbers. Do worry about the ones you put into your mouth :smile: You'll get back down again.