Am i too old to learn to do a handstand?

Options
I realise this is probably a crazy thought as a) i am nearly 48, b) i never learnt to do one as a child, c) my balance isnt good! I have been watching people in the gym and at crossfit and it just set me wondering. I would like to be able to do one handstand and one pull up. The pull up is harder as i dont always have access to a gym. Is this a crazy idea? I am reasonably fit and do circuit type exercise. Am i just old and deluded? I have a 6 year old who would love to see it though!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    After I lost down to a healthy weight, I tried to do a chin up. I could do one (without training for it). I was 60 at the time.

I think you can train/learn to do the somewhat more challenging pull-up, and to do a headstand, as long as you have no disqualifying injuries or disabilities, even at the advanced age of 48.

(You kids are so cute when you think an age like 48 is old ! ;););) ).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    48 is not old - don't be daft!

If you think you can or think you can't you are probably right!
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Most definitely not. I previously did crossfit and there were people in their 50s and 60s that would do handstand walks across the gym floor. You are definitely not too old!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    No way you're too old to do a handstand. The question is why do you want to do one? I totally missed the whole handstand bus. When did they become the pinnacle of fitness measurements?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i had an 80 something lady in my yoga class who could do a full standing splits

if your dr says you can, you can
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    A handstand is one of my goals, and I'm 45! You might want to start with a headstand - WAY easier, gets you used to being inverted, and helps improve your balance/core strength.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    48 is not old lol. If you want to be able to do a handstand, make it a goal, and work towards it. Handstand is one of my goals too. I just think it looks like fun, and I want to be able to say I can do a handstand. And I want a picture of myself doing a handstand lol. Why not??
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    This is Bette Calman, in this picture she is 83 years old. You are never too old to get into shape.

nb2gkqyej6t4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's my neighbor. After a storm one day I looked out the window to see my little 100 year old neighbor on the roof of her house cleaning out the gutters. You can do anything you set your mind to!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    never to late!! I LOVE handstands I do handstand February every year and am amazed at the progression every year! Focus on form form form and do wall assisted for as long as you feel you need and consistency is key!