Starting on getting fit

Hi all,

I am vince, 26 years old and have barely been looking at my health and have hence gained a LOT of weight.
I have never really exercised and I am now motivated to turn my life around.

I have been walking (brisk walking in the morning for about 30-45 minutes and strolling at night for about 30 minutes) and cutting down on the calories since a few days now. My body is obviously getting sore and it takes motivation to get out of the bed in the morning but what concerns me is that my ankles are hurting and are sore. Is there something that I can do about that? Should I slow down?

Also, I have heard that the best way to cut fat is to mix cardio and weight training. Can you guys share what your schedule looks like so that I can build one up for myself :)

Lastly, how much do your shoes matter when you walk/run or do cardio? I have comparably flat feet and I wear shoes with a slightly extra arch after I got plantar fasciitis almost two years ago.

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Make sure you have good shoes if you're doing that much walking. That could be contributing to your ankle pain. Plus the fact that your ankles may not be all that strong and need to get used to your new routine.

Find cardio you like, do it 3-4 times a week. Find a good strength program, check out New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength or StrongLIfts. I'm currently running Wendler 5/3/1, I like it quite a bit. The All Pro Beginner routine on the Bodybuilding.com forum is good, too.
  • kefowler3
    kefowler3 Posts: 5 Member
    Welcome Vince!!!
    Its a great feat that youre starting this adventure to become fit!
    Sore muscles can be definitely be a deterrant, so look for a foam roller (targer or walmart near the yoga gear for about $10-15). There are lots of resources out there for how to use it: http://www.therapeuticassociates.com/education/sports-medicine/foam-roller-activities/ it will help message your muscles so they can recover faster. It also can help prevent injury :)

Additionally, try going into a running store to get fitted for shoes if you are going to take running seriously. You need to replace your shoes every 300-400 miles (depending on the support system in your shoes) It will help protect you from injury and make for a more comfortable work out. Good shoes can run you up to $150, but you can usually find last years versions on finishline.com If you have ankle pain, try going for something like an Asics Gel Kayano or Brooks Glycerin because they have more cushioning.

Running and weight lifting is a GREAT way to get in shape. Try to vary your cardio and maybe add in some cycling or spinning, maybe even some yoga if youre still feeling sore in a few weeks. I like to run 3-4 times a week and lift or do yoga 2-3 times a week. The more muscle you build, the more calories you can burn.

Another thing to help with the sore muscles and low energy is to take a look at what youre feeding yourself. Refueling is really important, so try to find your macros (macronutrients) to make sure that youre eating a correct distribution of proteins, carbs and fats for your recovery. http://macronutrientcalculator.com/ This can seem daunting, but if you customize your myfitnesspal through updating the food goals, and focus on getting enough (and not too much) carb/protein/fat, it's easier to control your caloric intake when youre focused on the smaller steps like "did I get enough protein today? did I take in too many carbs?" The following can help you decide a healthy caloric intake per day from which you can decide how much you need then calculate your macros from there. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
    Remember, more carbs for more cardio and more protein for more lifting :)

Best of Luck!!!