These Myfitnesspal bloggers

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find some blogs useful and others garbage. If MFP wanted to provide a great UX, they would give us the option to “x” out of the blog and hide the post from our feed. At the end of the day, it’s about advertising revenue.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    But @gebeziseva has a point.

We often ask where people get the weird ideas they come here posting about. It's one thing for it to be FB, but at times it is an actual MFP blog bringing people here with dumb ideas.

Even in the "how often do you weigh" threads, it can be pointed out that on the check-in page it says to only weigh once a week.

I also got dinged for posting about medical marijuana in the forums, when there was a blog post that day about CBD.

Got cat food today, they sell CBD drops at the pet store now.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    The bloggers use personal opinions. There is no requirement to be scientifically based.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I generally ignore click bait because it's mostly always woo. It's sad that some people don't realize that though.
    I had one girl tell me that she was so hungry the night before that she didn't sleep and woke up with heartburn. I asked why she didn't eat something. She said she couldn't because anything she ate would've turned to fat because it was after 7pm. I asked where she got that bogus info and she showed me some click bait article. She really believed that if she ate at night that it turns to fat because she'd be laying down sleeping instead of up burning Calories. SMH!

Critical thinking is becoming a lost art. It's easier for people to gather information from blogs and Facebook than it is to do any actual research.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when blogs or magazines say “a new study says ...”
    One of my peeves is when the media uses the word "expert" to describe someone in the story. Having worked in tv news I can tell you the title 'expert' means nothing.

psychod787 wrote: »
    The bloggers use personal opinions. There is no requirement to be scientifically based.
    Professional journalist use personal opinions as well.

AnvilHead wrote: »
    Most health/fitness blogs are little more than a bunch of derp/woo as a placeholder for an advertising platform.
    *ALL* news/media is nothing more than entertainment to sell advertising. I wish more people understood this.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I generally ignore click bait because it's mostly always woo. It's sad that some people don't realize that though.
    I had one girl tell me that she was so hungry the night before that she didn't sleep and woke up with heartburn. I asked why she didn't eat something. She said she couldn't because anything she ate would've turned to fat because it was after 7pm. I asked where she got that bogus info and she showed me some click bait article. She really believed that if she ate at night that it turns to fat because she'd be laying down sleeping instead of up burning Calories. SMH!

Critical thinking is becoming a lost art. It's easier for people to gather information from blogs and Facebook than it is to do any actual research.

Yeah but how many of us have believed lies in the past? While I do think critical thinking is on a general decline it is hard to blame people for being taken in when so much money and effort is being poured into making it as believable as possible. If there were major profits to be made in people believing the world was flat there would be a lot of very convincing "evidence" out there and some of us, like it or not, might have gone through a phase of believing it ourselves.

Some people are lucky. They manage to achieve a calorie deficit believing in one or more of the magicks. Others, including some of the bloggers, probably deserve sympathy because they will fail again. Hopefully they will stay on the path to better health and eventually move in the right direction.

I think the biggest enemy of weight loss is the general lack of understanding of weight fluctuations. People weighing themselves each day getting frustrated by no losses or gains when they have done everything or most everything else right. It is the main reason I believed something more was needed in the past.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

Yeah but how many of us have believed lies in the past? While I do think critical thinking is on a general decline it is hard to blame people for being taken in when so much money and effort is being poured into making it as believable as possible. If there were major profits to be made in people believing the world was flat there would be a lot of very convincing "evidence" out there and some of us, like it or not, might have gone through a phase of believing it ourselves.

Some people are lucky. They manage to achieve a calorie deficit believing in one or more of the magicks. Others, including some of the bloggers, probably deserve sympathy because they will fail again. Hopefully they will stay on the path to better health and eventually move in the right direction.

I think the biggest enemy of weight loss is the general lack of understanding of weight fluctuations. People weighing themselves each day getting frustrated by no losses or gains when they have done everything or most everything else right. It is the main reason I believed something more was needed in the past.

I know I definitely did at one time! I remember going to the doctor and asking to be switched from my birth control because I swore that it was making me fat. I now know that the excess calories are to blame but I didn't understand that then. I read a parenting forum that it was the birth control causing the weight gain so I really believed it. Luckily now I know how to vet sources a bit better.
    I think we all have been tricked or fooled in some way at some point ( not just weight loss related) . That's one of the reasons I believe that calling out the woo is so important. It helps those that do not know better yet. It certainly helped me. People can be easily mislead If misinformation goes unchallenged , especially in this day and age of social media and other " fast" news.