Affordable Meals?

Im looking to lose about 20-40lbs by the end of the year :p however I can do much exersice tmdue to high blood pressure. I only have about 100$ month to spend on groceries myself ( I dont eat very much) but I'm looking for some nut free, affordable and tastey! I'm currently doing mostly chicken breast salads, fruits and veggies. But even recipes to make it a lil different would be appreciated!

Height: 5'6
Starting Weight: 210lbs
Current Weight: 199.3lbs
Goal: 150-160lbs

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I'm not a cook, so no recipes. But dried beans and lentils, eggs, and oats are pretty inexpensive and filling as well. I have oats with peanut butter and fruit for breakfast almost every morning. And eggs, beans, and lentils can really "fill out" a meal for pennies. Also canned tuna and store brand greek yogurt!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Low fat yoghurts, shakes, fruits, eggs, tuna, bread, pasta...all pretty low cost foods you can add to your diet.
  • itsthelegacy1818
    itsthelegacy1818 Posts: 5 Member
    I never even though of oats! And I've also never tried lentils so maybe I will give it a taste!! Thanks for the tips
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I never even though of oats! And I've also never tried lentils so maybe I will give it a taste!! Thanks for the tips

Lentils were an acquired taste for me, I didn't like them at first! But they are super cheap, great macros (nice protein and fiber) and fairly low calorie density. So try them a few different ways, I mix them into grains, soups, and chilis where the fact I'm probably not cooking them 100% right isn't as obvious :lol:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Lentils were an acquired taste for me, I didn't like them at first! But they are super cheap, great macros (nice protein and fiber) and fairly low calorie density. So try them a few different ways, I mix them into grains, soups, and chilis where the fact I'm probably not cooking them 100% right isn't as obvious :lol:

I had a tough time with lentils too until I figured out I was cooking them wrong. I always salt the water well and then cook them just until their little "tails" start poking out. Then they become delicious.
  • itsthelegacy1818
    I will leave to give it a try. I feel that some stew or stirfry would be a good way of making things taste better as there is usually alot of flavors in them!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited August 2018
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast is the most expensive cut of chicken. Whole chicken is the cheapest, roasting it is simply and yummy, and you can use the carcass for stock, and have lots of options for the leftovers, including chicken salad.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/italian-lentil-soup-recipe/

I love this lentil soup recipe! And my kids and husband do too. It also freezes well and you could store any leftovers.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/barley-and-sweet-potato-pilaf/ - i made this at least twice a month - the receipe makes enough for all my lunches for the week and it costs about $6 - more if i add some cheese to it
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Lentils, split peas, beans, and tofu are dirt cheap! Also good for protein. Other than that, oats, rice, wraps, sandwiches, etc are pretty affordable too!
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Brown rice or standard rice, whole-wheat pasta, oats, cheapest bag of potatoes. Rice & pasta is so cheap plus you get a lot. Those can be your dinner staples. With the rice you can also cook it in bulk quite easily.

Cheap protein: eggs, sardines, beans, chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, protein shakes.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Brown rice or standard rice, whole-wheat pasta, oats, cheapest bag of potatoes. Rice & pasta is so cheap plus you get a lot. Those can be your dinner staples. With the rice you can also cook it in bulk quite easily.

Cheap protein: eggs, sardines, beans, chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs, protein shakes.
  • itsthelegacy1818
    Thanks everyone. I'll be going grocery shopping in the next week so I plan to try a few of these
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Check thrift stores for a crock pot if you don't already have one. I use my crock pot to cook dried beans with almost no work on my part, as well as freezer meals. This week, I made vegetarian red beans and rice--eight servings from one bag of beans, rice, and spices. I also made other beans that I froze in two cup portions to use in other recipes, and I often make vegetarian chili in the crock pot to freeze for later.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Black bean soup is very easy to make. You can use low sodium canned black beans, some non fat chicken broth, store bought salsa and a whirl in the blender. You serve it hot with some fat free or low fat sour cream and some green onions and even a bit of reduced fat cheddar shreds.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Download a free pdf copy of Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4 a Day by Leanne Brown. It's available in English or Spanish on this site.

Bookmark BudgetBytes.com and either download the app or subscribe to the weekly recipe. In addition to the vast selection of searchable and indexed recipes, she has how-to articles on meal planning, meal prepping, and reducing your grocery spend. Her detailed SNAP project may be of particular interest.

Check out Flipp.com and download the free app. When you identify your location by postal or zip code, it will group all the grocery store flyers for your area and corresponding coupons in one easy to use app. (The app will work in the USA and Canada)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Well, losing weight means you have to eat less, and if you don't exercise you need less food, so that helps :s but I don't know how you'll manage feeding yourself exclusively on 100$/month - have you managed that until now?

You have to stay away from nuts, and recipes with nuts, or omit nuts from recipes.

Taste is subjective and lists of cheap foods are everywhere; you have to learn how to determine if a price is bargain or a trick price, and decide whether it's a good buy for you.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Stews are good as you can use cheap cuts of meat and add lots of vegetables and herbs. You can buy an inexpensive slow cooker to make soups, casseroles, rice, steamed and braised vegetables, even stewed fruit. It's also cheaper than using a stove.

You can mince cheaper cuts of beef, pork or chicken in a food processor and make a cheap and tasty meat sauce to go with pasta. You can buy all sorts of dried beans, just soak overnight and boil, then use them in chillis, curries and casseroles.

If you have freezer space, bags of frozen veg and fruit are often cheaper than fresh, and because they're flash frozen within a couple of hours of picking, they retain all their nutrients, and you can use any combination in stews and stir fries.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    I would suggest a couple of batch items that you can freeze in portions, which can help for busy nights!

Spaghetti sauce-there are meat and meatless options. Very versatile, you can use it on pasta, rice, to top veggies or chicken, etc. nice way to add flavor without too many calories (with the meatless kind). There are multiple recipes online for different versions and it's cheaper, and tastier, overall to make your own than it is to buy the jars of sauce. I prefer to make mine in the crock pot so I don't have to babysit it too much on the stove, but I've done the stove too.

Chili-Similar to the spaghetti sauce, you can use this as a condiment of sorts on top of pasta/rice/protein/veggies, or you can just eat it by itself. I buy the large package of hot dogs and freeze them in 2's and will frequently thaw a thing of chili and 2 dogs (no bun) for dinner.

Soup-My favorite is a good vegetable soup with a chicken or beef broth. I will usually add shredded chicken or any leftover protein from another meal to give it a bit more body when I eat it (i never feel full on just plain veggie soup :()