Lower Body Strength Training?

Options
Stupidly long story short: Broke my right elbow. Ortho says I can't use my arm to lift, push, press, balance, or pull. Any recommendations for programs/routines that will focus on lower body training? Either body weight or machine is fine.

(I'm so-so cleared from a cardio perspective. No swimming or barre, but he said I can run as long as I'm careful not to jostle...)

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves has a lower body only and bodyweight program. However even with lower body training you still use your arms to either hold the weights or pull them up (ex. Squats or deadlifts especially) so you will need to be mindful of that. You could either do the bodyweight or sub them in for the lower only and in order to add resistance use bands, do single leg, use ankle weights, cable if you have access etc. But just make sure you clear the exercises with your Ortho just in case
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if you use a commercial gym or not, but if you do, does it have an SSB bar? Would that work with whatever contraption is currently on your elbow?

8b3db1a7zmqy.jpeg
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Strong Curves has a lower body only and bodyweight program. However even with lower body training you still use your arms to either hold the weights or pull them up (ex. Squats or deadlifts especially) so you will need to be mindful of that. You could either do the bodyweight or sub them in for the lower only and in order to add resistance use bands, do single leg, use ankle weights, cable if you have access etc. But just make sure you clear the exercises with your Ortho just in case

Yeah -- anything where I'm lifting and pulling with my arms is a no-go... But I'll look at the SC bodyweight program! That's better than nothing, at least.

I do have bands and ankle weights at home.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Watching this thread because I'm in pretty much the same situation. I'm currently 5 weeks out from when I fractured the radial head and hoping for an 'all clear' from the ortho at my follow-up this coming Monday. For now I'm limited to using my arm to lift objects no heavier than 2 lbs :| Even though I'm (hopefully) in the final stretch I figure it doesn't hurt to know more things I can do that won't put too much pressure on the joint for the near future.

I hope yours heals well @collectingblues
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Yeah -- anything where I'm lifting and pulling with my arms is a no-go... But I'll look at the SC bodyweight program! That's better than nothing, at least.

If you have access to a decently equipped commercial gym, selectorized machines would probably be the best way to go for you right now - you only need one hand to insert the pin into the weight stack. Leg press, hack squat/v-squat, leg extensions, leg curls, donkey kicks, calf raises, etc.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If you have access to a decently equipped commercial gym, selectorized machines would probably be the best way to go for you right now - you only need one hand to insert the pin into the weight stack. Leg press, hack squat/v-squat, leg extensions, leg curls, donkey kicks, calf raises, etc.

That I can do -- I've got a gym membership, and was thinking they might have the best accessible options.