Replies

• longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The whole egg and nothing but the whole egg. 🍳
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, but that must be an American thing then, because here in Germany, I've never seen egg whites sold separately anywhere. You buy whole eggs or you don't. Egg whites in a carton? Who knew!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, but that must be an American thing then, because here in Germany, I've never seen egg whites sold separately anywhere. You buy whole eggs or you don't. Egg whites in a carton? Who knew!

I buy eggs and separate them when I need whites - I usually do a combination of whole eggs and whites to get more protein but less fat than if I used all whole eggs.

We get egg whites in cartons, but they're all cage eggs so I refuse to buy them. When I was in the US I was impressed that free range and organic whites were available in cartons too...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options

Just to be clear, egg whites in the U.S. are sold in "cartons" like milk cartons (a tall waxed paperboard box), not like an egg carton (designed to hold eggs in the shell).
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Just to be clear, egg whites in the U.S. are sold in "cartons" like milk cartons (a tall waxed paperboard box), not like an egg carton (designed to hold eggs in the shell).

2z8ybi3fpkq9.png

in Canada too. :) The benefits of living next to the USA. Lots of great food ideas make it north of the border despite our smaller population.
  • gr8fulplanet
    gr8fulplanet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mix one egg with three egg whites every single day as part of my breakfast. That way I can get more volume for less calories and still get all the goodness that is in the yolk.
    I recently started doing this too. I can’t do an egg whites only omelette but that one whole egg really does make the difference.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A recent study found that although egg whites and whole eggs provided the same amount of amino acids for muscle building, in practice for some reason the eggs consumed whole ended up being utilized to build more muscle. The reason why is unknown at the moment. However, this would not be the first instance in which whole foods operate differently from theoretically identical partial foods.

"By using those labeled eggs, we saw that if you ate the whole egg or the egg whites, the same amount of dietary amino acids became available in your blood," Burd said. "In each case, about 60 to 70 percent of the amino acids were available in the blood to build new muscle protein. That would suggest that getting one's protein from whole eggs or just from the whites makes no difference, as the amount of dietary amino acids in the blood after eating generally gives us an indication of how potent a food source is for the muscle-building response."

But when the researchers directly measured protein synthesis in the muscle, they found a very different response.

"We saw that the ingestion of whole eggs immediately after resistance exercise resulted in greater muscle-protein synthesis than the ingestion of egg whites," Burd said.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171220122054.htm
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs are packed with micronutrients. I'm guessing they are looking to encourage the nutrients in the yolks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

IMG_1171.JPG
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never bought eggs in a carton like that. It just feels weird to me lol.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg because, first, they're tasty; second, I need the fat to keep me full. Egg whites alone would not be filling enough for me.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    This might be a stupid question, but for the people who only eat egg whites ... what do you do with the yolks? Just tossing them seems to be such a horrendous waste of good food.

I'm in the mixed up camp. For poached or fried, it's the whole egg. Scrambled is usually with a bunch of low-cal veggies (mushrooms, peppers, zucchini) so I do 2 whole eggs and 3-4 egg whites (enough for a couple days worth).

I cook up the yolks in a separate pan and keep in the fridge to add to my furbabies kibble. Not too much, just a little bit at a time. They love it and they have nice shiny coats! :heart:

Also, re: the WW question - who knows what their whole "zero foods" program is all about. I briefly tried WW two different times, with two different point systems, and found it to be an exercise in frustration. Now they've come up with a third point system. WHAT? Not to get all snarky, but WW is a multi-million dollar corporation who's main agenda is to make money from selling their memberships, foods and gadgets. Good for people who lose weight along the way, but I'm not sure there are a ton of long-term success stories out there. I've found it much easier (and cheaper) to track calories and exercise on MFP for FREE!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

It's just the whites so you don't have to waste the yolk. Nothing added...just egg whites...and it's more convenient than separating them.

I actually rarely eat egg whites...I'm a whole egg guy...over easy, scrambled, or hard boiled.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

It's just the whites so you don't have to waste the yolk. Nothing added...just egg whites...and it's more convenient than separating them.

I actually rarely eat egg whites...I'm a whole egg guy...over easy, scrambled, or hard boiled.

I'm mostly in the whole eggs camp too. Almost the only time I use egg whites is for scrambled eggs, to bulk them up and add extra protein for minimal calories. I can add 4 servings of egg whites to my scrambled eggs for only 100 extra calories (and almost 25 extra grams of protein). I'm not a fan of egg whites all by themselves - no flavor and they're not filling to me at all.
  • PloddingTurtle
    Options
    Presumably, one could bulk up the protein in any recipe by adding a few egg whites. I find myself pondering the advisability of doing this with some of my baked oatmeal recipes. At which point does it become a little (for lack of a better description) too custard-y?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Presumably, one could bulk up the protein in any recipe by adding a few egg whites. I find myself pondering the advisability of doing this with some of my baked oatmeal recipes. At which point does it become a little (for lack of a better description) too custard-y?

One way to find out. :)

[ETA:] Actually, custard-y oatmeal sounds kind of good.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

I think the "custard-y" texture in recipes comes primarily from the yolk, but I'm sure egg white will change the texture somewhat. When I was still eating wheat, I used to add a whole beaten egg to my cream of wheat and it was delicious. I've never done it with oatmeal, but I'm game for being a guinea pig!
  • PloddingTurtle
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

One way to find out. :)

[ETA:] Actually, custard-y oatmeal sounds kind of good.

Agreed. This thread has inspired to experiment, maybe later in the fall when I switch back to a hot breakfast. I usually add a hard boiled egg in addition to oatmeal to get the right protein for my take-along morning meal. It's inconvenient. I was thinking of experimenting with the addition of protein powder, but egg white may be the solution.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I used to make baked oatmeal all the time for breakfast (I'd make a big pan and eat it all week). I'd mix the oatmeal with mashed up banana, milk, brown sugar, blueberries, and and EGG. it was delicious. I bet I could've added in a few more egg whites and it would have been good.