Chick peas

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Does anyone have a really good, different recipes for chick peas? I'm a little tired of hummus...

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Look what I found when I googled Chickpeas:
    http://www.chickpearecipes.com/
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    Check out chickpearecipes.com

I am not tired of hummus yet... Hummus is Yummus! lol
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Roast them!!!

Spicy Oven-Roasted Chickpeas
    about 2 cups

1 15 ounce can organic chickpeas
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 tablespoon chunky sea salt (I normally leave this out)
    2 teaspoons spice like garam masala (anything spicy is good)

Heat the oven 400°F. Pour the chickpeas into a colander and drain and rinse very well under running water. Pat dry.

Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil and spread out on a large cookie sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crispy. Turn and stir every ten minutes so they don't burn.

They are really yummy
    x
    Take out and toss to taste with salt and spices.
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that recipe. I'm going to try tossing it with chili powder or curry powder.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yes, roast them for sure, so yummy!
    Also, put them in your salads or in soups/chilis.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Put them in pasta sauce. They're great on salad, too. Or curry them.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I second what Nelski said...I love them in soup and chili. South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook has a good recipe for Turkey Sausages w/ Kale and Chickpeas that we love. Here is a link to the recipe (it's halved from the original recipe): http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/36829
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

I have chickpeas in my fridge and all of those ingredients (well, except the vegan mayo, but I have tofu, so I'll make some). Totally making this for lunch!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Roast them, definitely! I like mine with garlic, onion, and a dash of pepper. I also really like using them in place of pasta; it's not the SAME as pasta, but I've found that any way you can serve pasta you can serve chickpeas. My favorite is to substitute them for the macaroni in macaroni and cheese. Sooo tasty and if you add garlic (have I mentioned I like garlic??) it's sort of somewhere between mac and cheese and garlic bread. YUM.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Roast them with cayenne pepper...they are spicy and crunchy!
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Roast them!!!

about 2 cups

Heat the oven 400°F. Pour the chickpeas into a colander and drain and rinse very well under running water. Pat dry.

Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil and spread out on a large cookie sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crispy. Turn and stir every ten minutes so they don't burn.

They are really yummy
    x

This sounds so good! I'm going to do this today. Do you have the numbers on this?
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Roast them!!!

about 2 cups

They are really yummy
    x

Okay, I followed the recipe, however, I'm confused. Are the chickpeas supposed to crunchy or slightly chewy? And, how do you store them? In the fridge, out the fridge...?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Roast them!!!

about 2 cups

They are really yummy
    x

Okay, I followed the recipe, however, I'm confused. Are the chickpeas supposed to crunchy or slightly chewy? And, how do you store them? In the fridge, out the fridge...?
    I cook mine extra so they get crunchy so it's up to you I guess. I figured out that if I want them crunchy, it helps to squish them down with a spatula or something before baking so they don't hold water and will dry out and crunch up. I just store mine in an air tight container, not in the fridge. They never last long so it doesn't matter lol.