Leftover roast beef or rack of lamb?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
It's a long weekend in the UK and thinking of doing roast beef or rack of lamb for dinner Sunday. We are a household of two which means leftovers on Monday. Any ideas for using leftover roast beef or rack of lamb for a second meal besides just slicing thin and serving cold or in sandwiches?

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mince it with potatoes, peppers, & onions for some hash. Add in whatever else you'd like too. Crisp it up and serve with poached eggs on top.

Alternatively, I see nothing wrong with having the same meal twice. Reheat the meat in a zip lock bag in a 130F water bath and it'll come back good as new (a la sous vide).

And I know you don't want sandwiches but a riff on a hot french dip is always good. Make a tasty au jus and a creamy horseradish sauce. Serve with melted swiss on a carraway bun if you can find them, otherwise a straight kaiser or long roll will work just fine.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    What is this leftover lamb you speak of??? I've never heard of such a thing!
    I never heard or have I seen any left over lamb, must be a UK thing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Roast beef- beef and noodle soup, beef stew, beef and barley or lentil soup, shredded and mixed with bbq sauce for sandwiches, beef stroganoff, beef and broccoli and rice, beef hash
    added to salad, pizza
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    added to salad/ sandwiches
    marinated and used for shawarma
    noodle salad
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of reheated roast... I'd go with cold in some sort of salad, or sandwich
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No leftover lamb in my UK household ... EVER !!!

Truly the king of meats
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    but finely cut leftover roast beef makes a great base for a Shepherd's pie ... bulk out with some chopped veg if you are short on meat
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I make left over roast beef into an improvised taco/fajita. I just cut it small and heat it up, toss it in a whole wheat soft tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, add salsa sriracha and a little sour cream.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best thing for left over roast beef is beef sarnies.

For lamb: Tagine/kebab/curry. Any middle eastern dish works really well with lamb. You might not get the full extent of the spices in the meat as you normally would as it's already cooked. But it'll still be delicious.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    What's the hesitance from some on reheating roasted meats? Do it in a water bath and it comes back good as new.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Mince it with potatoes, peppers, & onions for some hash. Add in whatever else you'd like too. Crisp it up and serve with poached eggs on top.

Alternatively, I see nothing wrong with having the same meal twice. Reheat the meat in a zip lock bag in a 130F water bath and it'll come back good as new (a la sous vide).

And I know you don't want sandwiches but a riff on a hot french dip is always good. Make a tasty au jus and a creamy horseradish sauce. Serve with melted swiss on a carraway bun if you can find them, otherwise a straight kaiser or long roll will work just fine.

Hot sandwich melts (cheesesteaks, yum!) and hash with potatoes and eggs are always my go-tos for left over beef. Heat the meat in a skillet with some water or broth to keep it from drying out.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Joint for Sunday will be a half leg of lamb, as they didn't have any rack of lamb in the supermarket. I just made toum for the first time so I guess I won't be needing to stud the meat with slivers of garlic.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toum.html
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    What's the hesitance from some on reheating roasted meats? Do it in a water bath and it comes back good as new.

Because not everyone has a vac, sousvide or wants to reheat meat in a plastic bag food grade or not.

Well, for people who don't mind using plastic bags (and practically all food professionals agree that the risk of using food grade plastic bags is not something to be terribly concerned about), you don't need a sous vide/vacuum setup to reheat things.

Place the food in a Ziploc bag and squeeze out the air by submerging all but the top in water and then closing. Bring a pot of water to the point where it's barely beginning to simmer, then kill the heat and throw in the bag for a while. Most 'leftover' sized portions will usually be ready to go within 15-20 minutes of sitting in the water bath, likely closer to 10 minutes for small pieces or portions.

You only need enough water that the bag can be mostly submerged in the pot but flipping it over a couple of times won't hurt things since the bag will inevitably float.