Discrimination--Weight/Age/Hotness/NotSoHotness ???

Options
Have YOU been treated differently because of your weight, or not-20something age, or being totally HOT, or maybe being
Not-s0-HOT???

Please respond with your observations on yourself, your friends or family, or maybe a stranger or co-worker.

I am asking this because....On another thread about Work Place Attire and compliance I wrote the following:

" I despise this simple fact.> There is age discrimination, weight discrimination, and ugly discrimination. and those particular discriminations also apply to men, but to women even more. If the 'other offenders' are younger, prettier, or skinnier, it is a plain and simple fact that they will get by with things an older, not so perfectly skinny, not so 'hot' woman will not. Fact of life. "

I was responded to with the following:

" TOTALLY and inequivocally untrue. I guess if you've never been young and hot you might not know so let me explain. Once when I was young and hot I was spoken by a manager who said even though it looks SO awesome how you wear your uniform with no pantyhose, and they are silly to be worn with something so revealing and with tennis shoes and socks, they ARE the dress code and you MUST wear them or be written up. Another time I was told at a totally different kind of job, even though those shoes are incredibly wonderful to look at and your pedicure with the different color toes is extremely fun to watch those shoes are outside our dress code as being "open toe" and so you must comply with dress code by tomorrow or be in violation and I will have to write you up.

Both male bosses. Both clearly impressed with my looks/attractiveness. Both to the point and by the book. Young and hot has nothing to do with it. If you're ugly, that's your problem."

I was pretty shocked at her 'attack'??? and replied with:

"Excuse ME -- THAT was rather RUde AND UNnecessary.......And 'ugly' can be deeper than skin deep. and your response was Not HOT. Have a cup of coffee and chill out. The rudeness was UNnecessary "

So folks, tell me your story. Was I crazy, wrong, and off-base about the discrimination issue? And please, let's try to be kind to each other. There is enough meanness in this world. Thanks.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The person responding to you has clearly never had employers that discriminate.

Lucky them. Maybe when they grow up, they'll experience what it's like.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was refered to as "that big gal" by someone giving directions in the neighborhood this morning. Appearance based bias happens all the time. For some reason people think that if it's never happened to them then it doesn't exist.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Oh it definitely happens. My boyfriend was just talking about this the other day....they hire hot, thin bartenders at their restaurant, because attractive, smaller women sell more beer. It's not right, but it's the way it is.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Translation: "My bosses didn't let me wear anything I want, even though I'm hot, so they were discriminating against me." Apparently she can't tell the difference between *discrimination* and *enforcing the dress code*. Sheesh.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    In some professions, like bartenders, Hooters waitresses, etc., most people realize looks are important--it's what sells the job. I think most overweight people would not apply for that position. Of course, everyone is not right for every job. At my heavy weight, I wouldn't have applied for Abercrombie...but maybe at Lane Bryant.

I guess I'm just trying to say Thanks for the comment, but I was also getting at jobs that don't need just a certain 'look' to sell the business.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    umm...this thread might get locked.
  • KarlyK929
    KarlyK929 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This happens the other way too. People are shocked when I tell them I'm a tax accountant because of the way I look. They assume that I'm a dumb blond bimbo. I've actually had to show people my business cards to get them to believe me.

*le sigh
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, and have been discriminated against because of my weight. I did not get several positions due to my size, and found out that after they had hired the gorgeous lady or man after me they were looking for a replacement shortly after. It is sad that looks are so much more important then people who know what they're doing and actually work.

I have been judged as stupid, and slow and yet I could run circles around my 'hot' and 'skinny' counterparts in some jobs. Oh well. [shrug]

Dropping weight now so I won't be judged as horribly...not just by employers but co-workers too.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Being now 47 and overweight only for about the past 10 years of my life, I can absolutely confirm that the world treats women differently based on level of attractiveness. Any younger person who doesn't think so will find out for themselves soon enough. When I worked in the corporate world from age 18 to 33 I can look back now and see that I was treated as "special" by my male bosses, but at the time I didn't know it because I had no frame of reference to compare.

I have to admit though, I'm curious to see if getting slim again will reverse my increasing invisibility or the general apathy with which I'm treated. People were just so much more friendly and helpful when I was younger and thinner. For instance about 3 years ago my car got a flat tire on a public street with plenty of traffic...I changed it myself (took about an 45 minutes) and not one person stopped to offer help. Somehow I don't think that would have happened had I been young and cute.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Being now 47

:noway: You look fabulous!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    umm...this thread might get locked.

This.

Being butthurt over what someone said over the internet post #23123543568568789...
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Translation: "My bosses didn't let me wear anything I want, even though I'm hot, so they were discriminating against me." Apparently she can't tell the difference between *discrimination* and *enforcing the dress code*. Sheesh.

Hahahaha! This^^^^
    my thoughts exactly!
  • jedgarner11
    jedgarner11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    all of the above at one time or another
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    There was an article done on how people who are overweight tend to get passed over for jobs for someone who is persevered as being smaller and better looking. Can't recall the articles name though and it did include a study that was done on this. I have had people assume that I got my job, etc "because of being a small attractive female" (this was told directly to me several times in the past) when in reality I have worked for what I have. I have also seen where some people have been discriminated because they were not the ideal image of what a person should be.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yep, seen it many, many times. Men will hold the door for better looking women, smile and say hi in the halls, and help without asking. I say hi to everyone in the halls, especially the ones who look straight ahead or at the wall avoiding eye contact. I give them a loud, HI! How are you?? They usually look at me in surprise, smile and say hi. Love it!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There was an article done on how people who are overweight tend to get passed over for jobs for someone who is persevered as being smaller and better looking. Can't recall the articles name though and it did include a study that was done on this. I have had people assume that I got my job, etc "because of being a small attractive female" (this was told directly to me several times in the past) when in reality I have worked for what I have. I have also seen where some people have been discriminated because they were not the ideal image of what a person should be.
    A woman did a report on this on some news segment years back. She did various things like carry groceries, break a heel and what not. Guys of all ages were falling all over themselves to help her. She did the exact same things again, wearing the same thing, same hair, make-up, etc. Only wearing a fat suit. NO one offered to help her. She even asked in the same way, same tone of voice. That was an interesting segment.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL BWHahahahahahahahaha! :laugh:

Violating work place dress code is NOT discrimination.

And saying you've never been young...pfffft!

Brush it off dont take it personal
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think people should stop wishing for the world to be different than it is.

I get treated differently in work situations because I'm young and female, and it's usually not in a good way. You have no idea how many times I've been told "Whoa, you don't look like any accountant I've ever met" or how many times I've walked into an important meeting and been asked if I was lost. People think I'm stupid because I'm not old and fat and I don't look like Shrek. How's that for discrimination?

Has someone violated the law or company policy in their treatment of you? If so, report it through HR or your chain of command. Otherwise, it is what it is.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was fired from a job when I was 19 because the owner's wife thought I was too pretty to work alone with her husband.

I was sexually harassed by male co-workers on multiple occasions (and various different jobs) in my early 20's.

I was passed over on assignments and promotions because I was considered "window dressing" and not an actual part of the team or worthy of more responsibility.

Eventually I just said **** it, and got a job as a bartender when I was 27. It was a good way to monetize my looks.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think people should stop wishing for the world to be different than it is.

I get treated differently in work situations because I'm young and female, and it's usually not in a good way. You have no idea how many times I've been told "Whoa, you don't look like any accountant I've ever met" or how many times I've walked into an important meeting and been asked if I was lost. People think I'm stupid because I'm not old and fat and I don't look like Shrek. How's that for discrimination?

Has someone violated the law or company policy in their treatment of you? If so, report it through HR or your chain of command. Otherwise, it is what it is.

This is a terrible attitude. What if everyone had that feeling about Hitler, about slavery in the US, about legal rape (yes, even in my lifetime rape was legal in a handful of US states under certain circumstances)?

Discrimination is a waste of human capital. People who would otherwise be able to contribute to society are marginalized, and this helps absolutely no one except those who are unwilling to work harder at getting beyond the status quo.

If someone is discriminated against for whatever reason, but that person really does have an idea as to how to cure cancer or produce renewable energy or make clean water in the desert, he/she will never get the chance to test his/her idea due to race/size/gender/sexual preference etc. Why would you be ok with the lack of advancement for the betterment of the human race?