Question about how much weight I'll lose?

Options
Wanted to know if I cut back from a 2,098 calorie diet to a 1,300 calorie diet and burn around 3,000 calories a week working out, about how much weight will I lose a week!!! I'm at 165 right now!!! Want to lose 40 pounds.

Replies

• noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In the long run, you'll lose nothing or gain weight, because you won't be able to maintain that as a lifestyle.

When you go to the gym, do you start out by trying to lift the heaviest weights in the building? No, you start small and as you get stronger you add weight.

A calorie deficit of 500/day will help you lose about a pound a week, which I recommend for you. So that's 1,600 calories without exercise, and if you exercise, eat more to offset the calories burned.
  • Marylisssy
    Options
    I am new at this losing weight thing!!! Can you help???
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is a steep deficit, especially with the demands of the workouts. Your body will produce excess cortisol in response to that stress you are placing on it. Cortisol creates health problems and prevents weight loss. You might also suppress your metabolism which isn't something you should want to do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

I think that's going to be pretty unrealistic. Read the above link for calculating your deficit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am new at this losing weight thing!!! Can you help???

Set up your MFP profile. Where it asks you how active you are, this is asking about your ordinary daily life not including exercise. Choose an appropriate level for you. Where it asks how many pounds you want to lose per week, choose 1 pound.

How many calories does it give you? Now when you exercise, log that and it gives you more calories to eat to fuel the workout. Be sure to eat at least some of these calories, your body needs it for energy. Exercise was not included in the calculation above, so you need more when you do exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wanted to know if I cut back from a 2,098 calorie diet to a 1,300 calorie diet and burn around 3,000 calories a week working out, about how much weight will I lose a week!!! I'm at 165 right now!!! Want to lose 40 pounds.

Some basic math ............3,000/7 = 428 calories per day

If your mantainence calories are 2,098 but you eat 1300 ..... your deficit = 798 PLUS exercise of 428 = 1,226 daily deficit

1226 x 7 = 8582 .......... then 8582/3500 = 2.45 pounds per week

There is fast weight loss and there is HEALTHY weight loss ...... these 2 things are NOT the same. Fast weight loss will have you losing lots of muscle mass .... along with fat. If you want your body fat % to stay the same ....... then quick weight loss is for you.

The problem with losing muscle .................. muscle helps keep your metabolism strong and a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. You may get to your goal and say to yourself ....man, I thought I would look good. :huh: