High Cholesterol

Options
I just had bloodwork done, and it came back that I have high LDL and low HDL.
My doctor wants to put me on medication, but I'm not sure about it yet.
Does anyone have experience with this? Will continuing to lose weight help lower my LDL and raise my HDL?

ETA: Should I restrict my dietary cholesterol?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have genetic high cholesterol. In my personal experience, the more active I have been, the better my cholesterol has been.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have genetic high cholesterol. In my personal experience, the more active I have been, the better my cholesterol has been.

8 months ago I was tested and my LDL was normal, but my HDL was low. I added tenish pounds in 6 months, and I have now lost those ten pounds, but my LDL still went up. :(
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of red meats or fried foods? Try to cut out greasy and oily foods, and try to eat lean meats like chicken and fish. I am a vegetarian and still have high cholesterol, but like I said, mine is completely genetic. My cholesterol is only in the healthy zones when I work out at least 4 hours a week.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been on the edge of medication for most of my adult life, but have managed to stay off. You can't do anything about genetics, but if you are on the edge, you can try to stay off the meds with attention to your diet and exercise. Diet wise, watch the dairy and fatty meats; oatmeal and whole grains are helpful. The American Heart Association has some great info on their website and in their cookbooks.

Good luck.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How are your triglycerides? I would focus on your diet to improve your numbers rather then go on a drug. There are far too many doctors that are quick to prescribe statins if your numbers don't fit their ideal setting and fixate on LDL. Reduce added sugars and seed oils. Consuming more sat-and mono fats, fish, avacados, eggs, dark chocolate +70%, olive/coconut oils. Those will bring up your HDL. May bring your total cholesterol but your ratios will be better. They don't even actually directly measure LDL in a typical panel, it is calculated based on your total-HDL-(tigs/5). All LDL isn't the same either there are large fluffy patterns that are basically harmless and then there are small dense pattern that is what penetrates your artery walls and causes the inflammation that creates plaque build up.

Newer studies have found that your ratio of Trigs/HDL is a stronger indicator of cardiovascular decease. You want a 2 or lower after calculating your ratio.

Also if your weight is fluctuating near the time of your test it can effect the numbers when you're burning fat since it is being released to be burned. I would not go on a drug from just one bad test. Your numbers are likely to fluctuate +/- 30 pts day to day
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    How are your triglycerides? I would focus on your diet to improve your numbers rather then go on a drug. There are far too many doctors that are quick to prescribe statins if your numbers don't fit their ideal setting and fixate on LDL. Reduce added sugars and seed oils. Consuming more sat-and mono fats, fish, avacados, eggs, dark chocolate +70%, olive/coconut oils. Those will bring up your HDL. May bring your total cholesterol but your ratios will be better. They don't even actually directly measure LDL in a typical panel, it is calculated based on your total-HDL-(tigs/5). All LDL isn't the same either there are large fluffy patterns that are basically harmless and then there are small dense pattern that is what penetrates your artery walls and causes the inflammation that creates plaque build up.

Newer studies have found that your ratio of Trigs/HDL is a stronger indicator of cardiovascular decease. You want a 2 or lower after calculating your ratio.

Also if your weight is fluctuating near the time of your test it can effect the numbers when you're burning fat since it is being released to be burned. I would not go on a drug from just one bad test. Your numbers are likely to fluctuate +/- 30 pts day to day

My triglycerides are normal. Thanks for the post! I get tested again in 3 months. I will restrict sugars and increase fats.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've got genetically low everything cholesterol-wise, which sounds a lot nicer than it is. It's still within normal depending on whose cutoff for too low is being used but nothing has gotten me read the riot act yet, which is pretty good considering that I was put on a medication a little over a year ago known to lower the good stuff and raise everything else.

Exercise is the unsexy, under-discussed way to get the job done. It's been thoroughly established as effective as hell, but hardly anyone wants to actually do it and there's not much money to be made. There's also vegetables and a healthy diet, but again not likely to be shouted from the rooftops. I'm still on the edge doing both these things but the pill pushers are being kept at bay.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Scott, the liver is the primary source of cholesterol and diet plays but a small part. High cholesterol is generally genetic.

Raising the HDL count will lower the LDL. Ways to increase the HDL is eat more mono and poly unsaturated fats.

I dont want to take statins so my doc told me to try Niacin (Nicotinic acid ) - http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/nicotinic-acid-for-high-cholesterol

I take 500mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening. You need to talk to your doctor before you take niacin because it does have side effects. The reason most people do not take niacin is they dont like the associated flushing and short duration but insatiable itching. Over time the flushing and itching decreases to the point of not being noticeable. If youre a sissy start with a low dose and acclimate. Taking it with food helps alleviate the effects. I often take it as I head out the door for my AM run & am hardly aware of it when it hits the blood stream.

In many instances Niacin has proven to be as effective as the more expensive statins. Avoid taking the Slo-Niacin and the Flush Free Niacin. They can have serious side effects that can include liver damage.

Nicotinic acid is a B vitamin that is available without a prescription as a vitamin supplement (niacin). The nicotinic acid form of niacin lowers cholesterol, but other forms of niacin do not. These other forms that do not lower cholesterol include nicotinamide and inositol nicotinate (also called no-flush niacin).

Ask your doctor how much niacin you should take. You want to take a dose that will work. But you do not want to take more niacin than you need. Larger doses of niacin can be dangerous, because they can damage your liver. --http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/nicotinic-acid-for-high-cholesterol

Ive kept this short and Im sure you have questions. As you know, you can always find me in Baum Fauque.

BTW I havent read all the previous posts on this thread but NGYOUNG & CORGICAKE have given good advice.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Scott, the liver is the primary source of cholesterol and diet plays but a small part. High cholesterol is generally genetic.

Raising the HDL count will lower the LDL. Ways to increase the HDL is eat more mono and poly unsaturated fats.

I dont want to take statins so my doc told me to try Niacin (Nicotinic acid ) - http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/nicotinic-acid-for-high-cholesterol

I take 500mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening. You need to talk to your doctor before you take niacin because it does have side effects. The reason most people do not take niacin is they dont like the associated flushing and short duration but insatiable itching. Over time the flushing and itching decreases to the point of not being noticeable. If youre a sissy start with a low dose and acclimate. Taking it with food helps alleviate the effects. I often take it as I head out the door for my AM run & am hardly aware of it when it hits the blood stream.

In many instances Niacin has proven to be as effective as the more expensive statins. Avoid taking the Slo-Niacin and the Flush Free Niacin. They can have serious side effects that can include liver damage.

Nicotinic acid is a B vitamin that is available without a prescription as a vitamin supplement (niacin). The nicotinic acid form of niacin lowers cholesterol, but other forms of niacin do not. These other forms that do not lower cholesterol include nicotinamide and inositol nicotinate (also called no-flush niacin).

Ask your doctor how much niacin you should take. You want to take a dose that will work. But you do not want to take more niacin than you need. Larger doses of niacin can be dangerous, because they can damage your liver. --http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/nicotinic-acid-for-high-cholesterol

Ive kept this short and Im sure you have questions. As you know, you can always find me in Baum Fauque.

BTW I havent read all the previous posts on this thread but NGYOUNG & CORGICAKE have given good advice.

I is a pretty contested stance but it seems that more and more Dr's and researchers are getting on board that Poly-unsaturated fats are not in fact heart healthy. At least with the way that they are processed and refined. By the time they make it to your grocery shelves they have oxidized and when ingested in the body release free radicals which cause inflammation of the arteries.

Here is a Dr OZ video that is pretty informative. I am not a fan of Dr. Oz but I respect the guests that he brought on the show for this segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH6GtuELM5A
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I just had bloodwork done, and it came back that I have high LDL and low HDL.
    My doctor wants to put me on medication, but I'm not sure about it yet.
    Does anyone have experience with this? Will continuing to lose weight help lower my LDL and raise my HDL?

ETA: Should I restrict my dietary cholesterol?

this is exactly why i ended up on MFP. My cholesterol was on the edge. Medication was offered, but I wanted to see if I could get it under control without it. I have reduced my dairy significantly (but not completely) - which was pretty easy to do, actually - and added more veggies (that I'm not crazy about) like broccoli. And I increased my exercise

And, of course, I have lost some weight.

All of that combined has had a positive effect. I am not completely in the "normal" range yet, but it's trending that way.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation. I was about 10 over and the doctor was pushing to put me on meds. I was able to lower my cholesterol by 30 points in 6 months mainly by cutting down on saturated fats and eating more oatmeal and salba (ground white chia seeds).
  • kitana42303
    kitana42303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my doctor wanted to do the same thing. I refused. Then I lost 20 pounds and my cholesterol went down to 189. Then I gained the weight back and the cholesterol went back up, so now I have lost the weight again and hoping the cholesterol has also gone down. I will have it rechecked soon. Just wanted you to know that sometimes you don't have to lose a whole lot of weight to have a positive impact on your health. Good luck.
  • seanpaget
    Options
    I have a keen interest in my cholesterol levels at the moment as I had a stroke in February (not BP or cholesterol related, it happened after an accident) The damage to my arteries requires I stay on Warfarin for life. My Cholesterol levels were 5 and 7.5, although I didn't ask what those numbers pointed too... seems like there are a lot targets. I've almost cut fats out of my diet, except from the odd teaspoon of olive oil, and I'm hoping my levels are much reduced soon. My doc whacked me on statins a few months after the stroke, as the damage has left me with an increased stroke risk I guess.

I asked the age old question about eggs, and the docs told me they wouldn't be a problem (i eat 2 most days, we keep chickens)
  • Spitgray3
    Options
    Going through it as we speak... It starts with weight loss, but you have to really stop eating out (if you do) and start awatching what you eat...
  • Determination29
    Options
    I went to the dr earlier this year with the same outcome as yourself. My dr did not put me on medication, instead she sent me to a dietary nutritionalist who broke down for me how I should eat. The information they give is great! it actually works! basically just lowering fat intake, eating more healthy fats like nuts and certain oils will help you. cutting out all of the fried foods i was eating and processed foods really do help. I'm back to normal after following that advice
  • losing_it_2013
    losing_it_2013 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've lowered mine in the past with natural supplements like non-flush niacin and guggulipid. Also, Vegapure helps too. I was told by my dietitian that I'll never get mine low enough without medication - sometimes it's just genetic. However, I saw a cardiologist who said without a family history (immediate family that is) of heart disease he wasn't too concerned about high cholesterol in someone my age (43). Consistent exercise and weight loss is a big help too!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My LDL and total cholesterol went up when I started eating more dairy. I stopped eating animal products and both shot down.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just went on statins. My total cholesterol went from 268 to 133. My LDL went from 136 to 50. Happy to take the pill.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just went on statins. In one month my total cholesterol went from 268 to 133. My LDL went from 136 to 50. Happy to take the pill.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol only makes up about 15% of your blood cholesterol levels. Your blood cholesterol is mainly determined by the ratio of insulin to glucagon production in your body. Leading cause of high cholesterol is a high carb, low fat, low fiber diet.

Read this to get the skinny on cholesterol:

http://www.motherfitness.com/what-dietary-fat-did-for-my-cholesterol-my-lipid-panel-results/

Edit: Also, increase your soluble fiber intake. Soluble fiber binds to dietary cholesterol and helps excrete it from your body.