Keto help

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    help, I am doing Keto and went out to eat, go some greens and I didn't know they had sugar in them. My head is hurting, what do I do?
    Learn how things work, so you can stop fretting over unimportant stuff and don't worry so much, and take a painkiller.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 100% of your fat goal, that's a maximum number not to go over not a minimum that you have to consume.

I do keto for migraine control, just keep carbs below goal, try get get your protein over goal, and let the fat fall wherever it falls.

I don't think this is the best advice for someone dieting. She may already be on a low calorie diet, and not getting enough fat would push her calories even lower, which isn't healthy.

OP, if you can't tolerate fatty meats, just add plant fat to your dishes. You can fry your meat (some keto followers use almond meal to "bread" their fried items) and it would be the same as fatty meat. You can also add fat by making sauces and dressings, using real mayo, avocado, oil packed things (like sundried tomatoes)...etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, if you are getting headaches or feeling tired, it's probably the fact that you are not getting enough sodium. Are you getting 3500 to 5000mg+ of sodium? If not, than I would increase that.

Also, I would focus on getting more protein and minimize fat. Is there a reason you are avoiding chicken and fish if you are allergic to pork? Not exactly the same thing. You can also add things like crabs, lobster, strimp, etc... to help get protein up.

Ultimately, if you don't respond well to fats, than it might be worth increase carbs (even if it's up to 100g) to help get in calories.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Have you tried non-wheat carb sources? Beans, quinoa, brown rice, oats are all really filling to me and they digest slowly so you don’t ‘crash.’ Or maybe consider doing a low carb diet that is not as restrictive as keto?

I’m not trying to talk you out of doing keto, just want to point out that bread is not the only carb and it sounds like your options are limited on what is already a very restrictive diet. If you’re really set on keto I’ve heard the term eco-Atkins for what is essentially vegan keto. Might be a good starting point then add in your animal foods as desired/tolerated.
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    OP, if you are getting headaches or feeling tired, it's probably the fact that you are not getting enough sodium. Are you getting 3500 to 5000mg+ of sodium? If not, than I would increase that.

Also, I would focus on getting more protein and minimize fat. Is there a reason you are avoiding chicken and fish if you are allergic to pork? Not exactly the same thing. You can also add things like crabs, lobster, strimp, etc... to help get protein up.

Ultimately, if you don't respond well to fats, than it might be worth increase carbs (even if it's up to 100g) to help get in calories.

I do eat chicken, fish, and beef, just not chicken skin or beef fat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Chicken skin and beef fat is my main line now.