Should I eat back my exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @SparklesFer097 I moved this to the general help board, you will get better answers here.

If you are using a MFP guided goal the deficit to lose your selected rate of loss is already built in ( unless you were given 1200 calories, if thats the case I can elaborate more on it). The system is designed so you to eat your exercise calories back. Not eating them back may give you a really big deficit, which speeds up weight loss but also can have other less awesome side effects (hangry anyone?). Most people eat back about half of their exercise calories if measured by MFP entry, or exercise equipment, as these methods tend to overestimate. Personal trackers may be more accurate. After a few weeks you can measure your progress, if you aren't seeing the results you expect exercise calories may be something you should to adjust.

Not the OP, but could you please elaborate on if/ how things change if you are given 1200 calories?
    Thank you.

Not the person who said this, but I think they're referring to the fact that nobody will get a goal lower than 1,200. So if you put in that you want to lose two pounds a week but you don't weigh enough to do this and still consume at least 1,200 calories, you will still get a goal of 1,200 calories. You don't get a deficit large enough to lose your goal of two pounds per week.

MFP is designed so that your rate of loss is built into your goal *unless* that rate of loss would give you a goal that is generally recognized as too low to be safe.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    @SparklesFer097 I moved this to the general help board, you will get better answers here.

If you are using a MFP guided goal the deficit to lose your selected rate of loss is already built in ( unless you were given 1200 calories, if thats the case I can elaborate more on it). The system is designed so you to eat your exercise calories back. Not eating them back may give you a really big deficit, which speeds up weight loss but also can have other less awesome side effects (hangry anyone?). Most people eat back about half of their exercise calories if measured by MFP entry, or exercise equipment, as these methods tend to overestimate. Personal trackers may be more accurate. After a few weeks you can measure your progress, if you aren't seeing the results you expect exercise calories may be something you should to adjust.

Not the OP, but could you please elaborate on if/ how things change if you are given 1200 calories?
    Thank you.

Not the person who said this, but I think they're referring to the fact that nobody will get a goal lower than 1,200. So if you put in that you want to lose two pounds a week but you don't weigh enough to do this and still consume at least 1,200 calories, you will still get a goal of 1,200 calories. You don't get a deficit large enough to lose your goal of two pounds per week.

MFP is designed so that your rate of loss is built into your goal *unless* that rate of loss would give you a goal that is generally recognized as too low to be safe.

Ah, thanks. I'm at 1200 calories for 1 lb a week. I thought it affected how many exercise calories to eat back. For me I can't use that many.

Thank you.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    Yes.