Subway cold cut sammies are like chinese food to me...

Options
I eat one and I am hungry less than an hour later. Two times (since tracking my calories this past month) I had subway cold cut sammies for lunch either ham or turkey (no cheese) and lots of veggies... and less than hour later I start realizing I am hungry and I want to snack or eat something more substantial... anyone else has that issue with any other food?

Replies

• ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Because the bulk of the sandwich and calories are from the bread. You don't get very many calories from the portions of meat they use, only 60 or so per 4 slices of ham or turkey. I think it is around 200 or more just for the bread which even their wheat is still highly refined and quickly broken down.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Yah my sandwich only had four slices of thin ham, why I asked for a lot of veggies to keep me full. Nope it didn't... have to chalk it up to lesson learned! LOL
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I find their subs keep me full for a long period of time... and I don't put meat on them. Are you drinking enough water? Had enough food earlier in the day?

An option to up the protein count would be to ask them to scoop some of the bread out and add in extra meat or cheese. Less bread also allows more veggies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat one and I am hungry less than an hour later. Two times (since tracking my calories this past month) I had subway cold cut sammies for lunch either ham or turkey (no cheese) and lots of veggies... and less than hour later I start realizing I am hungry and I want to snack or eat something more substantial... anyone else has that issue with any other food?

This has never happened to me when eating Subway *or* Chinese foods. I stay full for hours on either one.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You can test this theory for yourself, by basing more of your calories on protein sources and fewer of them on carbs.

I am not advocating avoiding carbs, but I do find myself more satiated when I eat more protein. So I choose more of them when I am spending my calories.

Some folks LOVE bread, pasta, rice, and report feeling satisfied when they eat those foods.

Whatever you do, try to spend your calories on foods that you like best. That is likely to last, more than anything else.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sodium bomb! Aside from the carb loading with the sandwich, you are also looking at a TON of sodium. Which expands everything and then deflates as you digest rapidly. Not a cute look. You'll be puffy and hungry.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Yah I drink oodles of water to the mbr who asked earlier, just don't track it lol. I don't drink sodas anymore been two years off of the stuff, and as much as I love Snapple and Arizona regular teas they are too big of calorie sink for me.

Yah bread is my downfall, I love the stuff to much but its just a temporarily filler for me. I usually do a high protein meal with veggies a bit of carbs so I won't feel deprived. Like shredded beef tacos (homemade) with veggies and corn tortillas and I am full for the rest of the day. :bigsmile:

Just love subway sammies but don't keep me full and I find myself screwing up for the day afterwards. :embarassed:

Who ever mentioned sodium... omg don't get me started on that... I do get poofy and from that... :grumble:
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Sodium bomb! Aside from the carb loading with the sandwich, you are also looking at a TON of sodium. Which expands everything and then deflates as you digest rapidly. Not a cute look. You'll be puffy and hungry.

I discovered this when I started tracking my sodium intake. I had one of their breakfast sandwhiches which was quite tasty but then discovered I had eaten half of my daily sodium in just that one sandwhich!!! Lesson learned...again!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I'm more filled up when I do the flatbread instead of the regular breads. But I also tend to get more meatier selections, such as the chicken breast or egg whites or (on rare occasions) meatball. I load up on spinach, green pepper, onions, and sometimes cucumbers. I'll even ask for an extra helping of some veggies (usually isn't a problem, since my daughter's sandwiches are bare-bones).
  • candy102389
    Options
    I learned this trick while watching THE BIGGEST LOSER. Ask them to scrape off the extra bread when they cut it in half and then ask for extra meat. I usually do turkey. But this way you are raplacing some of those bread calories with protein calories which will help you feel fuller longer without all the extra calories.