Cut vs Body Recomposition vs Bulk

Options
Hey guys,

long story short, I lost around 38 pounds in the last year and have gotten myself to around 17-20% BF% (hard to estimate since the measurements can be quite inaccurate). I am currently 6'2 tall and 176 pounds heavy.

I'd like to have a nice body with a flat belly (and possibly some abs) and I am not sure how to continue. I was initially thinking of losing a few more pounds and then start bulking, but I recently found out about a thing called body recomposition where you basically lower your body fat building muscle instead of the fat that gets burned.

What do you guys think? Which route should I go with?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Most sources will say a male should not be bulking if bodyfat is over 15% (some sources will say lower). Do you do resistance work now?

Couple good articles
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/5-common-bulking-blunders.html
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-bulking

IMO, for most people recomp, where you lift and eat at a very small surplus to fuel muscle growth is going to be most effective.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's all personal preference and priorities.

If you don't mind looking a little fluffier, the bulk.
    If you'd rather look a little leaner, then cut first.
    If you just want to grind it out over the long haul, recomp.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been lifting, start now and eat at maintenance. As your progress slows/gets stuck (i.e., newbie gains come to an end) start eating slightly over maintenance.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Most sources will say a male should not be bulking if bodyfat is over 15% (some sources will say lower). Do you do resistance work now?

Couple good articles

IMO, for most people recomp, where you lift and eat at a very small surplus to fuel muscle growth is going to be most effective.

Actually some people wouldn't define this as recomp at all, if you are in any surplus, even a small one many would consider it a bulk. Others like you might say a little surplus is still recomp. So it really depends on your definition.

Also "most effective" really depends on your goals as well.

Those articles seem to be against a dirty bulk, so basically eating anything and everything and gaining as much as you can as quickly as you can. I've never seen anyone on here recommend that. A lean bulk or smaller surplus will be better for muscle to fat gain in that case unless someone wanted to get really big and gain a lot of fat as well.

From my experience, the decision to bulk/cut or recomp it will come down to goals, personal preference, comfort level, patience level.

Traditionally..

Recomposition: eating at maintenance while lifting to lose some bodyfat and gain some muscle slowly over time. It can take months, years to see results.
    is great for people
    -who are happy with their outline just want to add a little here, take a little away there
    -at a good weight for their height but aren't happy with their body comp
    -who don't want to bulk and are scared to put on bodyfat
    -who also don't want to keep cutting down but still want to lose bodyfat
    -that aren't impatient and don't mind putting in consistency and obtaining results over time

Bulk/Cut: while lifting, eating at periods of surplus to gain weight (muscle and fat) then periods of deficit to lose fat. Muscle gain is more quick but some fat gain comes with that as well (even with a small surplus).
    Great for people
    -With advanced physique or strength goals (ex. competitors)
    -who have a goal of adding mass, size and weighing more
    -Those who are low in weight and need to put on mass
    -that don't mind putting on some fat
    -impatient people who like to see faster results as they go

Now... you can even do a combination of the two if you wanted. If you didn't want to cut first, you could recomp to lower your bodyfat put on some muscle and then run a bulk to put on more when you get lean enough . This would take a lot of time though. As I mentioned, it will come down to how much time you want to spend and how comfortable you are and your overall goals.

Thanks for this very detailed reply. My goals are actually to get lean and lose body fat while gaining some muscle. The end goal is a slightly toned physique (nothing extreme or competitor level though), something like a swimmer's physique with perhaps slightly more muscle. Would a recomp be good for that?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »

Couple good articles

Actually some people wouldn't define this as recomp at all, if you are in any surplus, even a small one many would consider it a bulk. Others like you might say a little surplus is still recomp. So it really depends on your definition.

Those articles seem to be against a dirty bulk, so basically eating anything and everything and gaining as much as you can as quickly as you can. I've never seen anyone on here recommend that. A lean bulk or smaller surplus will be better for muscle to fat gain in that case unless someone wanted to get really big and gain a lot of fat as well.

From my experience, the decision to bulk/cut or recomp it will come down to goals, personal preference, comfort level, patience level.

Traditionally..

Recomposition: eating at maintenance while lifting to lose some bodyfat and gain some muscle slowly over time. It can take months, years to see results.
    is great for people
    -who are happy with their outline just want to add a little here, take a little away there
    -that aren't impatient and don't mind putting in consistency and obtaining results over time

Bulk/Cut: while lifting, eating at periods of surplus to gain weight (muscle and fat) then periods of deficit to lose fat. Muscle gain is more quick but some fat gain comes with that as well (even with a small surplus).
    Great for people

Now... you can even do a combination of the two if you wanted. If you didn't want to cut first, you could recomp to lower your bodyfat put on some muscle and then run a bulk to put on more when you get lean enough . This would take a lot of time though. As I mentioned, it will come down to how much time you want to spend and how comfortable you are and your overall goals.

Thanks for this very detailed reply. My goals are actually to get lean and lose body fat while gaining some muscle. The end goal is a slightly toned physique (nothing extreme or competitor level though), something like a swimmer's physique with perhaps slightly more muscle. Would a recomp be good for that?

Yup a recomp would be excellent for that. Since the scale stays around the same in order to track progress make sure you take measurements and photos, track workout performance and progression, how clothes fit etc. Just be consistent and stick with it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Couple good articles

Traditionally..

is great for people

Great for people

Looking around the US, seems to me so few people really have the BF % to be considering a bulk/cut as a way to gain muscle.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Couple good articles

Traditionally..

is great for people

Great for people

Looking around the US, seems to me so few people really have the BF % to be considering a bulk/cut as a way to gain muscle.

I think you're over thinking it...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Couple good articles

Traditionally..

is great for people

Great for people

It is definitely not something everyone or many people need to do to be fit or make progress. I would say it is typically for more advanced physique goals, as I mentioned.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options

Couple good articles

Traditionally..

is great for people

Great for people

It's just a suggestion for optimal partitioning. I've never cut below 13-15% and I've always bulked until 20% (or higher, lol). I've had absolutely no issues packing on significant muscle. It's not like there is a binary switch that makes any and all gains above 15% turn into pure fat.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful replies, I guess recomp is the way to go for me. So if I understand correctly, I eat at maintenance (no deficit or surplus) and just do any kind of lifting program (or does it have to be specifically for recomp?)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    Thank you for all the wonderful replies, I guess recomp is the way to go for me. So if I understand correctly, I eat at maintenance (no deficit or surplus) and just do any kind of lifting program (or does it have to be specifically for recomp?)

Your training is the driving force behind change - if "any kind of lifting program" is poor or ineffective training don't expect good results from it. But there isn't a specific training program just because you are eating around maintenance. You don't have to be precisely at maintenance - there isn't a mode switch that kicks in at +/- 1 calorie either side of your TDEE. :)

Choose a good program that matches your goals and your lifting experience. If strength, pick a strength program, if hypertrophy pick a hypertrophy program but of course there's a large cross over (strength and hypertrophy are far from a linear relationship but they do together). There's also enjoyment to consider of course - a big factor for long term results.
  • Valentinogomez
    Valentinogomez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about recomp, yah basically stay at maintenance and be consistent with your workout routine.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Recomp? Working on it. But I do know that all the swimming I do has given me six pack abs. Just can't seem them yet. :D
    6' tall. Goal is 180. And if I can do that and get to <15% BF, I'd be a happy camper.