Strength Training (Weight Lifting) Rest Days/Plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    phke5716 wrote: »
    1 add (cannot really find explanation on the web). Why are deadlifts only 1x5 and not 5x5 like the other exercises?

Because one set gives enough stimulas to the muscles for a rank novice to gain strength in that particular lift. No need to do more if one will disrupt homeostasis and cause adaptation in such progress will be had.

Hence why 5x5 programs are generally reserved for post novice. 3x5 programs such as Starting Strength gives just as much needed stimulas and yet better recovery so most people respond better to that novice program as far as efficiency.

I did both. Started on 5x5, switched to Starting Strength for the reasons you state (efficiency - return on investment so to speak). Both programs are great.

• phke5716
    phke5716 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. A month in and it is going well. I have increased all my weight and lost 11lbs. A few follow ups for suggestions.

Stats:
    BF: ~10% (prior 15%)
    Weight: 169 (prior 183)
    Waist: 31 (prior 33-34)

Questions: While I can see my abs, theyre not really blocky. Do I need to do focused ab work?

My waist hasnt changed from 31 since last measurements (2 weeks ago) [or its minimal]. But, weight loss has been consistent.

Should I take a week off from SL? I am finding it more difficult to recover and have been recently stalled on Squats (everything else is progressing still:

Squat: 200lbs
    Deadlift: 210
    Bench: 165
    Row: 135
    O/H: 75

*will provide pics later today.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to squat heavy 3x weekly as per stronglifts. My solution would be to either skip squats one session or to lower the weight. Another thing I do is keep the weight where it is and add a rep. Or just do two workouts per week. I know its no longer the same program when you change it up, but at some point it just doesn't work as prescribed. I think there are also deloads within the program, but I never followed it that closely.
  • phke5716
    phke5716 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to squat heavy 3x weekly as per stronglifts. My solution would be to either skip squats one session or to lower the weight. Another thing I do is keep the weight where it is and add a rep. Or just do two workouts per week. I know its no longer the same program when you change it up, but at some point it just doesn't work as prescribed. I think there are also deloads within the program, but I never followed it that closely.

Took thre last week off. Still have flexer pain. Hmmm..probably going to adjust..