Maintain energy

Options
bodyofartsandmuscle
bodyofartsandmuscle Posts: 63 Member
edited August 2018 in Motivation and Support
I’ve noticed the older I get the harder it is to have energy. I’m 36 and after work I try and go to the gym but feel tired a lot of times. I do take a vitamin D, vitamin B12 and a multi but still feel exhausted. Any ideas on how to improve this and something simple and not costly?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with the same in recent years... blood panel is all normal, so doc says it's just natural aging.

Personally, I try to focus more on getting enough sleep and allowing sufficient recovery time between workouts (hint: it's longer than it used to be, at least for me). It helps a little. But ultimately, I've just decided that workouts later in the day aren't a good option for me right now/any more, so I try to work out earlier in the day whenever possible.

And then there's caffeine. Always caffeine.
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Is it ok to drink an energy drink before a workout with zero sugar? Or no. I just need a boost of energy before I go. I get up super early for work at 10pm I go to bed at 3pm. Nothing I can do about that but if I can get a boost to keep me from being tired I think I’ll do fine.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a question of how you respond to it. Different people respond differently to the stimulants in energy drinks, so the only way to know for sure is to try it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Could you move your calories around a bit and eat a snack an hour or so before gym? Or even on the way to the gym?
  • bodyofartsandmuscle
    Options
    I probably could, I can play with it a little and see if that helps.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Just have to play around with things. Some folks like coffee or a pre-workout drink (which also has caffeine for energy). Caffeine pills work well too and are my preference. Some of us like to eat some carbs a bit before a workout. I usually nibble on a banana between sets while I work out.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1. Coffee. And tea. And Diet soda :smile:
    2. After 40, I found I needed more sleep than I used to or I was dragging all day. Got by with 6 hours pretty much my whole life, but now I need much closer to 7 or my energy flags.
  • gr8fulplanet
    gr8fulplanet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely identify. Although I’ve always struggled with lack of energy (being anemic for so many years), I find that the older I get, the more real the struggle is becoming. I’m 42 years old and already had a preteen when I gave birth to my 2nd child who’s just a little over 1 year old now. I can honestly say that I really felt the drain with this child much more than with the first one 12 years ago. I think pre workout drinks and supplements don’t hurt and I’m always trying out different ones. I try to avoid ones with a crazy amount of stimulants that I am unfamiliar with. I usually gravitate towards ones with more natural or familiar ingredients such as B vitamins and caffeine. I also find that if I space out my meals a little closer together but smaller, I tend to have more energy. Just today I tried out a preworkout supplement that I was really impressed with. You can see it on my feed. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me. I’m always looking to give and receive motivation, inspiration, and accountability. In the words of my favorite angel fish, “just keep swimming” we’re all in this together. 😁