Slow weight loss

Options
Hi all- I'll try to make this as short as possible. 5 years ago, I started myfitneespal and lost almost 100 pounds in a year. I went off the diet and maintained well for 6 months and then started gaining back. Went back on diet and lost about half of what I had regained (10 pounds out of the 20), and then plateaued. I would get frustrated go off diet, gain a bunch back, and then diet again but would always slow way down or plateaua after the first 5 or 10 pounds lost. Anyways, this went on for the last 4 years. This past year, gained almost all of the weight back, and started hardcore again first week of June. I lost 6 pounds the first month, 2 pounds in July, and only 1 pound this month. I weigh 309 pounds, am 41 years old male, net 1700-2000 cals a day and walk about 8000 steps a day. Cannot lose weight.

Please don't ask if I am weighing my food. I am. Please don't tell me I am eating more then I think. I am not. I did this the first time around and worked well, and now mu body just doesn't want to give it up. Any thought on medical reasons? I has thyroid checked last year and it cam back smack dab in the middle.

Replies

• SRJ5820
    SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't want something to be wrong medically, but perphaps someone might have medical insight. If you have ideas on approach, give em to me. For the last 2 week, I have not included exercise cals for eating. So between 1700-2000. Before, I was eating back half of exercise cals. I am set up as sedentary lifestyle.. It says I should be eating 1940 cals a day. Could I be eating too few? I've tried over and under cals and doesn't want to budge.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I know that you don't want to hear it but something in your tracking is off. You can troubleshoot that and figure out the issue or keep looking in the wrong places and keep struggling.

You are ingesting fewer calories than your body is using so you are getting some weight loss. Sedentary people lose more slowly because they can't create as much of a deficit and don't have a lot of wiggle room for tracking errors. Figure out a comfortable calorie intake amount that leaves you at a deficit and settle in for the long haul.

Increasing your calorie intake would be counterproductive.

Double-check your database entries for accurate nutrition facts. Log everything immediately before you eat so that you don't forget to log it later. If you have cheat meals/days, log them just as carefully as you log everything else.

Treat this like a science experiment where you are the only subject. Collect the best data that you can and make adjustments from that data.

Thanks. Like I said, I've done this before. I plan out meals days in advance. I use nutrion form labels. I log everything, down to the 5 cal mustard on my sandwhich. I measure everything. This is why it is so frustrating, because I know all of the things to do.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I will add that I used to use my elliptical for 30 mins a day, and ate back all but 100 exercise cals. I don't use the elliptical much anymore. Could part of the issue be my heart rate isn't going high enough? I don't think it would, but just at a loss.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    I will add that I used to use my elliptical for 30 mins a day, and ate back all but 100 exercise cals. I don't use the elliptical much anymore. Could part of the issue be my heart rate isn't going high enough? I don't think it would, but just at a loss.

Has nothing to do with your heart rate. When you were eating back your elliptical calories, how many calories were you eating per day?

It comes down to how many calories are you eating vs how many calories are you burning. If you are not losing weight over 3-4 weeks, you are eating as many calories as you're burning. If you're gaining it over 3-4 weeks, you're eating more calories than you're burning. If you are losing weight over 3-4 weeks, you're eating fewer calories than you're burning.

When I would use elliptical, I would use whatever myfitness pal would schedule me to eat. So if my goal was 1800, and I exercised and burned 500 cals, I would eat 2200 cals. Always left 100 cal cushion. I think I started at like 2000 cal at my heaviest, and when I was down to 225 it was 1500? a day I was scheduled to eat.

And I really, truly understand how weight loss works. I am not trying to argue with you. I AM doing the right things. I really wish you could all see and watch me. I know how the game works. It is just not working for me. That is why I am at my wits end. Like it has to be something else going on. Or my body now thing 1800 is what it needs to maintain.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Has nothing to do with your heart rate. When you were eating back your elliptical calories, how many calories were you eating per day?

It comes down to how many calories are you eating vs how many calories are you burning. If you are not losing weight over 3-4 weeks, you are eating as many calories as you're burning. If you're gaining it over 3-4 weeks, you're eating more calories than you're burning. If you are losing weight over 3-4 weeks, you're eating fewer calories than you're burning.

When I would use elliptical, I would use whatever myfitness pal would schedule me to eat. So if my goal was 1800, and I exercised and burned 500 cals, I would eat 2200 cals. Always left 100 cal cushion. I think I started at like 2000 cal at my heaviest, and when I was down to 225 it was 1500? a day I was scheduled to eat.

And I really, truly understand how weight loss works. I am not trying to argue with you. I AM doing the right things. I really wish you could all see and watch me. I know how the game works. It is just not working for me. That is why I am at my wits end. Like it has to be something else going on. Or my body now thing 1800 is what it needs to maintain.

Okay, let's go back to the basics.

How many pounds have you lost during each of the last four weeks? (list them separately for each week please)
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I'll have to list them later. I don't have the info with me. How come there is no "button" when I click on someones name to view their logs?