Low Calorie Flavors

Options
Hello all! I'm looking for some ideas. I've been making my food pretty bland (no BBQ sauce, less graveys) to cut back on calories and honestly 2 weeks into it - I'm sick of it and miss tasting stuff LOL.

Can anyone please recommend me some low-calorie flavor options?
I went to town with Franks red hot on my chicken last night... that's and mustard are like the only things that I can currently come up with.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How low are you cutting? Real food has real flavor.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I found the problem usually isn't using sauces and condiments, it's overusing sauces and condiments. I put butter on my veggies, ketchup on my eggs, and barbeque sauce on my chicken when I was losing, just a lot less and more mindfully. Are you aiming for too large a deficit?

I also use/used hot sauce, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and vinegars.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hot peppers! Low calorie, lots of flavor!
  • purpledream89
    purpledream89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well here's the problem - if the condiment is in front of me I will overuse no matter what. I have trouble backing away from it. I will dump 6 tablespoons of ketchup on one burger and it doesn't taste ok unless I do that. LOL. BBQ sauce FORGET IT. I can cook with less for sure but it just doesn't taste right to me. (i love dipping things into sauce don't judge lol.)

I know I can still choose to do this and still lose as long as i watch what else i put into my mouth - but I'm trying to explore other lower calorie options. Who knows - i may find something new to love that I can dump on and love.

and im working with 1200-1400 Cals per day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Spices. I love lemon pepper for chicken.
  • purpledream89
    purpledream89 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm looking for some ideas. I've been making my food pretty bland (no BBQ sauce, less graveys) to cut back on calories and honestly 2 weeks into it - I'm sick of it and miss tasting stuff LOL.

Can anyone please recommend me some low-calorie flavor options?
    I went to town with Franks red hot on my chicken last night... that's and mustard are like the only things that I can currently come up with.

Walden Farms.

kerz40phy6y6.png
    79n3azb7i812.png

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    YOU ARE THE BEST
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful of serving sizes. Labeling laws allow them to say 0 cal when there is less than 5 cals. So if a serving size is 1 tsp and there is actually 4 cals per serving (you'll need to look it up), and you use a large amount of them you are still consuming many calories.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really like this bbq sauce :) And I'll second Walden Farms - I'll add their chocolate sauce in my coffee and it is amazing!
  • purplepool03
    purplepool03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going to try the ketchup and bq sauce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    herbs and spices...that's what they're there for
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I really like this bbq sauce :) And I'll second Walden Farms - I'll add their chocolate sauce in my coffee and it is amazing!

I second the G Hughes BBQ Sauce. Tastes just as good as regular and super low cal. Also, what about trying packets of either dry ranch (like Hidden Valley) or Italian herbs to flavor chicken? :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Salt.

Seriously. Unless you have a medical reason to restrict your salt intake, make sure you're salting your food. It makes a huge difference.

Other than that, sriracha.

Salt and spices are my best friends.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the bolthouse salad dressings- I love them and they have a lot of flavors-
  • ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use cajun seasoning, ginger, and cinnamon (not all together!!) and a few of the walden farms products.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I use fat free greek yogurt to make dips and creamy sauces. It's high on protein and only has 120-140 calories per cup depending on the brand.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can make creamy sauces using non fat greek yogurt, water and a seasoning packet. It's still calories, but far less than a bottled sauce.

Also, just a warning. The Walden Farms stuff isn't going to taste like the real thing, so brace yourself. Don't expect actual BBQ sauce or actual ketchup. If you do, you will be extremely disappointed. It's not necessarily bad.... just different
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Cholula, trappey's, pace,fresh squeezed lime/lemon, lemon pepper, trechas, acv, mustard, nutritional yeast, any seasoning you like.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I’ve replaced many sauces with low calorie versions where possible/needed.

I love the low calorie salad dressings from Aldi. We also use lower calorie tomato and barbecue sauces. I haven’t changed over my mustards, because they were low calorie to start with (Dijon and whole grain), and I only use a small amount, anyway.