Heel Spur Pain

Options
I just recently found out I have a heel spur; I was given anti-inflammatory meds for this and it helps some but my doctor told me to limit the amount of walking I do because it would aggravate it. So is some walking ok like on my treadmill? Or should I find other exercise to do in place of walking; like cycling or something like that?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Your going to have to use your judgment on if the pain worsens with what degree of movement.

I personally ran and even caught for baseball through my spur for 5-6 months before it mostly went away.

I'm not a huge fan of KT tape, but it did give me some noticable imediate relieve from the pain. It isn't a fix, but worth the small amount of money to lessen the sharpness of pain. Youtube how to apply for bone spur/plantar fasciitis ad they are treated the same. If by chance things don't fix themselves over months, there is always cortisone shot for more severe cases.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    While you're on Youtube, search for "plantar fasciitis stretches" and try them every hour or two. Heel spurs usually don't hurt, and they often occur in people who have plantar fasciitis, which hurts in the same spot as spurs (source: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/plantar-fasciitis-and-bone-spurs).
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    My he'll spur hurt a lot! I got to the point where touching my heel to the floor while sitting hurt. I went in and had my running gate analyzed at physio and found out I was a heel striker. So I had to work on that before it would get better. My physio recommended that if activity didn't make it worse then I could continue. For me, it was easier to run that walk because running I could stay more up on my toes. It was a long recovery process! I also recommend lots of stretching. I think mine was also related to right hips from running.