Did you transfer your binge- or over- eating into a different area? (Over-something)

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I’ve been dealing with stress eating, binges, and just over indulging for a few years. I’ve managed to stop engaging in those behaviours for the most part. What I didn’t expect was like.....that same behaviour to like transfer to other things. Like emotional shopping.

I’ve always hated shopping, but when I went down a size I went on a bit of a spree because a) I had to, my clothes were falling off and looked awful, and b) I was pleased with my progress and it felt like a good way to reward that.

Now I’ve found myself watching my email for sales, ordering things, and dropping by the store after long work days. Much in the same way I would drop by the convenience store for ice cream or chips (or both tbh).

And it’s not like I’ve completely killed the binge drive. I still worry the next stress or upset will send me there. I actually bought ice cream at the convenience store the other day, one of my binge-foods. I’ve had one portion but idk how that will go, having it in the house like this.

Anyway I just wondered if you’ve been working on controlling eating, did this emotional overage thing pop up somewhere else too? And was it surprising? Because like honestly I’ve always hated shopping so so so much it’s really weird!

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You deserve to have clothes that fit you. So get what you need. But much like you budget your calories for food, sit down and figure out what you intend to set aside as a budget for clothing. I try to buy something new to wear to work about once a month. But as I dropped sizes I had to invest in a few items i can mix and match. Neutral colored slacks have really helped me with wardrobe choices since lots of different tops match. I likely will drop at least another two sizes and am setting aside a little cash to go toward the next size down.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You deserve to have clothes that fit you. So get what you need. But much like you budget your calories for food, sit down and figure out what you intend to set aside as a budget for clothing. I try to buy something new to wear to work about once a month. But as I dropped sizes I had to invest in a few items i can mix and match. Neutral colored slacks have really helped me with wardrobe choices since lots of different tops match. I likely will drop at least another two sizes and am setting aside a little cash to go toward the next size down.

After I replaced a good week of pants, and a few dresses and several T-shirts and dress tops, I thought I should stop. But then I kept looking at the new things and just.....watching. 🙄 now a larger sale happened and I jumped and bought things. Now it’s frivolous and unnecessary, even if I can technically afford it - that money could still have been saved. At least for winter or something.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chances are, you are still seeking instant gratification. It's that same "feel good" emotion, which was also the appeal of overeating tasty foods.

What else could you do to treat yourself that is nice but isn't overindulging? Soothing bath? Paint your nails? Read a new book? Art project? Scrapbooking? Knitting?

And, try to figure out the root cause that drives the desire to over indulge. Is it stress at work? Lack of sleep? Too much to do? If you can find a way to manage the root cause, then the urges might subside.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we seek a feel-good hit because we're strenuously avoiding something we don't want to feel, or think about. It might be worth reflecting on whether there are things you are trying to avoid thinking about, or feelings you're afraid to have.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I find exercise is an effective replacement for binge eating.