When do you expect to reach goal weight?

Options
I'm just curious when you expect to reach goal weight. I expect that to happen in 12-20 months and I was wondering how it compares to other people here.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Libra says 5th December!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've planned for early summer of 2020. Libra says November if 2019 but, as someone said earlier, it takes longer than expected. It also doesn't seem to take into account the fact that I'm going to eventually drop from 2->1.5->1 pound per week.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hopefully sometime in December.
    Edit to add context, because this in and of itself means nothing. lol
    I started in January of this year and have gone from 173 to 134.5 in that time. I hope to lose the last 10 by December/end of the year.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hoped to be done by next April but realistic me knows it will probably be more like the end of next year to get to my ultimate goal. I started in March of this year and have gone from 215 then to 187 now, a bit over a pound a week, and I have 52 pounds to go to reach my goal (135). Yeah, I wish it was faster but the end of next year gets closer every day whether I work on it or not, so I might as well keep working.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Libra tells me February for last 31 lbs, but I am thinking it will be more like June.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 8.4kg and want to lose 7.4kg more. So far, it’s taken me 3 months, so I see myself as being just over the half way mark. I’m more than happy if this takes another three months.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If all goes according to plan (yeah, right!), sometime in the late spring/early summer of next year.
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been losing these last 63lbs for two years. Slow & steady sticks. All too often people lose weight quickly only to gain it back again. Maybe in two more years I'll be at my goal? Regardless, I take it one day at a time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1 lb per week is the most healthy target to shoot for. Remove sugars and try to add natural foods until you are losing that 1 lb per week.

Sugar is a natural food. And there's nothing wrong with sugars in moderation.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No later than valentines day next year.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    1 lb per week is the most healthy target to shoot for. Remove sugars and try to add natural foods until you are losing that 1 lb per week.

Not to be a pile on, 1% of your body weight is completely healthy. Telling someone who is 350 pounds that they should only be losing 1 pound a week can make the process seem highly daunting. While yes, it may take them 4-5 or more to get to goal, imagine how you'd feel if someone told you that it was going to take a minimum of 4-5 years. I would give up. When I started I had 150 pounds to lose. While I know that it could take me well over 3 years to do, I also did the math for best case scenario. Just under 2 years is way better for me mentally so I chose to have an optimistic attitude and then do everything that is in my control to try and hit that goal.

Not everyone is going to want to lose up to 1% per week and that's ok. That's part of their journey and their mental health. But 2 pounds per week for someone who is over 250 pounds is realistic, healthy, and doable without having to drop down to a super low calorie count (depending on activity level).

I'm sorry if this sounds nasty, it's not my intention. It's just a sticking point for me when someone claims that one way it's the healthiest way or that there's only one right way to do it. Weight loss is so personal and taxing on your body as well as your mental state and emotions. The best thing we can do for each other is to pass on the best information we have, present people with their options, and then be as supportive as possible.

(Edited for grammar. It's been a long day.)
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have about 52lbs to lose, so if I keep going as I am, losing a pound a week, I should reach my goal by this time next year, which is doable, because as I get older time seems to speed up! I swear it'll be Christmas next week! Slow and steady is my goal, and I don't want to try and go fast, so I'm actually factoring in 1-2 years to get to my goal weight. But if it takes more than that, oh, well. I have to improve my health for medical reasons, so l have to be okay with whatever timeframe I find myself in, and not be tempted to rush things.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am not putting a date or season to my goal! If I do, it could be a disappointing prediction.
    "It takes as long as it takes"
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm putting a tentative goal of the beginning of summer (say 1st June) on it. That said, I don't really have a goal weight in mind - I expect to attenuate the rate of the weight loss and raise my calories as the year goes on and take planned breaks, as well as keep exercising and building up my fitness levels. I'm also sure there will be setbacks and stalls and re-gains. Hopefully I will muddle through them and get back at it.

I hope to be under 150 at that point, which is about 50lbs away and seems realistic for 9 months (currently losing at 2lb or so a week fairly easily, but obviously that can't go on indefinitely), but wherever I'm at then I'm counting as a 'goal weight' for the moment - it just helps me to have an 'end' to this in mind, in some fashion, that's less about a vision of my body but about the use of my time and where I'm focused.

I hope to be traveling over the summer, and I don't want to be counting calories at that point, partially because it'll be a new place and there's always a bit of work 'setting up' a new food environment in MFP and maybe its not worth it if you're only in a place for 2-3 months, and partially because I generally believe in breaks from MFP, tracking, etc for my own sanity (so long as there's no question of health conditions to manage or, hell, it just works for some people to do it all the time - it's just not my goal).

I already feel like I'm getting a little obsessive and over-focused on tracking. So anyway I'm planning to take the summer 'off', and frankly if I gain some weight - I gain some weight. *shrug*. Maybe I'll feel like getting back to it the year after - maybe I'll be happy with my weight. Maybe I'll just want to focus on some different life project at that point. Maybe maintenance will be enough of a chore. Who knows, life is mysterious.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I originally started in June I was thinking by the end of this year. At the rate I'm going it will probably be closer to Feb-March of next year. Hopefully I keep a steady loaa of weight going!
  • prettyshambolic
    prettyshambolic Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hopefully by September 10th!