Frustration- weight gain with extra exercise

Options
So with 4 weeks to the wedding last week I added an extra 2 hours of cycling and 2 hours of weight training lifting heavier. I only eat 1/2 the calories back and use Strava calories on my diary as they are nearly 1/2 what my fitness pal calculates.

I’ve gained 0.6lbs in 8 days and I’ve been under net calories. Diary set to 1.5lb lose.

Is this just water weight? I’ve lost 41lbs and am 5lbs from goal.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It is common for the body to retain some water when you increase exercise, especially weight training. If you aren't netting more calories logic tells me it can not be fat gain.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can't measure fat loss/gain in such short intervals, and your body weight can fluctuate several pounds from day to day.

Why would you do MORE exercise so close to the wedding? Don't you have preparations for the event?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    IMHO 0.6lbs is such a tiny gain/fluctuation its hard to say. Even the delta between the expected 1.5 loss and the gain could be hydration and/or a visit the the lavatory.

How often do you weigh yourself?

My usual advice would be give it another couple of weeks and see what happens. However, with a wedding in 4 weeks I don't suppose you want to do that :#

If it was me with a wedding in 4 weeks I'd reduce my calories back where they where and see what happens over the next week. Then adjust from there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    But were you actually losing at a rate of 1.5lbs/week before the change in routine?
    Were you losing in a linear fashion or did you have variations week to week?

A week after increasing your exercise is most likely water retention from soreness/repair. You might want to taper down the exercise in your last week before your wedding.

You know it's not a fat gain if you are confident you are in a deficit and not a surplus.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I’ve been consistently losing nearer 2lbs a week when I stick to my calories like I have in the last few weeks. I’m still weighing everything and sticking to the calories.

My muscles have been sore this week from the increased exercise but I can already see more definition, which is ultimately my aim for the last 4 weeks hence the increase in exercise.

I shall keep plodding on as weight loss is not my priority now, increased muscle tone is more important with only a few lbs to go!