Do I need to add exercise calories if I am using an external tdee calculator from the internet?

Options
So basically I use mfp to count my calories on a daily basis. I want to lose 4kg. I’m a female, age 18, height 5.3ft and weigh 59kg and my goal is to be 55kg. I got my calorie goal from a tdee calculator on the internet. It accounted my activity level on a daily basis and my workout intensity. Which end up giving me 1350 calories to lose weight. So my question is should I add my workout calories on the exercise section on mfp? At the moment I’m on a 600 calorie deficit.

Please advise me on this as I’m still quite new to this.

Thank u!

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If your calorie calculation includes exercise calories then no. As MFP expects you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories you'd be logging the exercise twice if you added it onto MFP as well.

As you have not much to lose, 600 cal deficit is probably more than most would recommend. 250 daily deficit is usually recommended. Yes, it will take a little longer and human beings tend not to be patient so I get why its tempting to go for a more aggresive number but you'll enjoy the journey more and be more likely to stick to it.

Is there a reason why you're not using MFP's recommendations? As you're new it might not be worth adding additional complications by using external calculators.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I would say no. But if you find you can exercise more, reassess your TDEE. If you don't do the exercise, also reassess your TDEE.

If you decide to use MFP's NEAT model, let MFP determine your base calories, then add intentional exercise when you do it. I expect it will be pretty similar to the TDEE you've come up with.

Also, you're pretty close to your goal weight. That's a fairly steep deficit for the last 10 pounds. You won't have a lot of wiggle room for guessing or eyeballing portions. You will probably benefit most from the use of a food scale and choosing accurate entries to log your food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So basically I use mfp to count my calories on a daily basis. I want to lose 4kg. I’m a female, age 18, height 5.3ft and weigh 59kg and my goal is to be 55kg. I got my calorie goal from a tdee calculator on the internet. It accounted my activity level on a daily basis and my workout intensity. Which end up giving me 1350 calories to lose weight. So my question is should I add my workout calories on the exercise section on mfp? At the moment I’m on a 600 calorie deficit.

Please advise me on this as I’m still quite new to this.

Thank u!

No, dont add them, you should have accounted for them in your TDEE calculation.

Why did you decide to have a deficit of 600 cals though? You want to set your deficit to 10%, you dont have enough weight to lose to sustain the deficit you've currently chosen.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above--no need to ad exercise but your deficit is too large. You're talking about a deficit of over 30%. As you have very little weight to lose, a deficit of 200-300 (10-15%) would serve you better. It will be easier to stay in the deficit because you won't be overly hungry (which causes temptation to splurge and overeat) or overly tired (which can make you downgrade your activity level without even realizing it.)