Macros

Options
Hey guys, I’m a confused about the macro thing. So my macros are set to 50% protein 30%carbs and 20% fats. I took body pump this morning and my post meal was 5 egg whites, a slice of American cheese and a Protein shake with one scoop of protein powder and unsweetened almond and coconut blend milk. I had a Kroger chocolate chip protein bar before my workout. That alone has me past my fat as 37%, protein at 47% and carbs at 15%. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you suppose to hit your macros? You’re not suppose to go over them?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nycnina07 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I’m a confused about the macro thing. So my macros are set to 50% protein 30%carbs and 20% fats. I took body pump this morning and my post meal was 5 egg whites, a slice of American cheese and a Protein shake with one scoop of protein powder and unsweetened almond and coconut blend milk. I had a Kroger chocolate chip protein bar before my workout. That alone has me past my fat as 37%, protein at 47% and carbs at 15%. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you suppose to hit your macros? You’re not suppose to go over them?

I'm confused too, and someone has set your macros that way, and 50% protein does not represent a human diet.

You're supposed to hit your macros for the day. Have you eaten all your meals today?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    That breakdown is (I'm assuming) JUST for that one meal. The macros at the end of the day is what you want to focus on.

I go over fats every day. It hasn't hurt my weight loss or my ten years of weight maintenance. I'm usually under a bit on carbs. Calories are king for weight loss. I make sure I'm getting sufficient protein, but my macros have always just been set at the default of 50C 30F 20P
  • nycnina07
    nycnina07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran: Gosh no. I would be severely under my caloric intake. Ok, maybe I’m reading it wrong. When I go to my macros section it has two columns, one for total and one for goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yeah, the total under the column on the left is the total you've eaten so far today. Meaning, the meal or meals you've eaten had that percentage breakdown.

Why do you have your macros set in that way? 50% protein and 20% fat is going to be difficult. Usually if people are going to play with their carbs they increase fat so it would be more like 50%F 30%P 20%C
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    @kommodevaran: Gosh no. I would be severely under my caloric intake. Ok, maybe I’m reading it wrong. When I go to my macros section it has two columns, one for total and one for goal.
    Your total calorie target is your goal. Your macro split is given in percentage and in grams.

(There's a lot of fluff in that screeshot, no wonder you're confused. And things lacking, you should see your calorie target right there, and your macro goals in grams, too. MFP used to be more responsible, now they just want to earn money.)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, consider your calorie target a maximum and macro targets as minimums. As long as you get the minimum grams of each macro you need, the percentages are irrelevant for health. They matter for enjoyment and satiety. Let them fall where they may.

minimum macro targets:
    protein: 1g per 1lb LBM (less if in a surplus)
    fat: 0.35g per 1lb body weight
    carbs: 50g carbs (25g fiber) <- there isn't a true minimum below which certain body functions cease, but human brains use about 50g/day. Most people eat ~50% of their calories in carbs, so obviously that's a lot more than 50g.

Also, it seems odd to waste the egg yolks, only to add back cheese (fat) and protein powder. The yolks have a lot of protein and some fat.
  • nycnina07
    nycnina07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside: Yes, and it has been very difficult not to go over in fats.lol I had them calculated for me based on information I gave. My protein is fine. I find my body does well anyway with a high protein and low carb lifestyle. I have been wondering if I should increase my fats.

@ahoy_m8: That’s why. I used to eat two fried eggs and avocado on a slice of wheat toast. That alone would have me extremely over my fat goal.
    So, I thought I’d try the egg whites.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That high of a protein goal is most likely a waste of money and good food unless you eat an incredibly meat heavy diet. What is your calorie goal?
    My advice is to ignore that macro page entirely. Click on the nutrients page and never change it again. Aim for your macro goals by gram, not percent.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Most people would really struggle to hit 50% protein as it is an unnecessarily high amount and a very expensive way to eat. I'd drop your protein and increase your fat. A few extra carbs won't do any damage either unless you have a medical condition which benefits from a low carb diet.

Just remember that weight loss all boils down to how many calories you eat versus how many you burn. Macros are important for satiety and nutrition. Finding the right balance for you is essential for long-term health and maintenance. The fact that you are struggling to meet your macro goals is a good indication that they are out of whack at bit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My protein is fine. I find my body does well anyway with a high protein and low carb lifestyle.
    The human body is resilient; you can stay physically healthy on a range of diet compositions. But 1) more is not always better and 2) you don't have to do things just because you can and 3) there is so much more to eating than just nutrition.
    it has been very difficult not to go over in fats.lol
    I used to eat two fried eggs and avocado on a slice of wheat toast. That alone would have me extremely over my fat goal.
    I have been wondering if I should increase my fats.
    I would say this means your protein goal is not fine.
    I had [macro split] calculated for me based on information I gave.
    That is very vague. (Your macros add up to 100%.) It's better to set your macros according to your needs and preferences. I see AnvilHead has provided the link, good.