I'm confused about bread

I really like bread. I eat sliced bread or tortillas almost daily. I tend to eat fat free or low carb tortillas and whole wheat bread. Im confused by a lot of things I see about bread. Is bread something to try to avoid or not avoid? I have seen some people avoid bread, pasta, cereal, etc. Is there any real benefit I could get from that?

Is wheat bread really that much better for you than white bread? why? I've heard white bread turns to sugar, but I have also heard this is a myth and they are actually not to far apart nutrition wise.

Replies

• jkoenig1980
    jkoenig1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Not all bread is bad. However most of the bread sold in stores is. Bread should not have a shelf life of over a few days. If you want a good for you healthy bread look for sprouted grain or "Ezekiel bread" It may be hard to find because it is stored frozen. And not all stores carry it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Depends on your goals. Simple weight loss is 90% total calories and 10% calorie composition. Body composition (muscle gain/fat loss) is a mix of the two. Eating clean is more about ingredients. Etc.

So it's largely personal preference.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Eat the kind of bread that you enjoy. Don't stress over it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    You’re going to get a lot of varying opinions on this. Ultimately, it’s going to come down to what works best for you, your food preferences, and how your body responds to certain foods.

For me, I lost almost 50 lbs while eating the Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread, which is super processed and made with HFCS.

Nowadays I typically eat whole grain bread that is made from a local bakery or a store brand sprouted bread from a local market.

Did one taste better than the other? Not really, I like them all pretty equally for different reasons.
    Does one make me healthier than the other? Yes and no, they’re all breads, they’re all made with flour, but some have fewer ingredients and “healthier” ingredients, so mentally, I feel better about the choice.

Some people are low carbers, so they’re going to tell you no bread. Others are 40/30/30 (or similar) people so they’ll tell you as long it fits in your macros. Still others will tell you to go for gluten free because of the dangers of wheat belly. No one is right and no one is wrong.

The best thing to do is find a bread that you like, buy that one, eat that one, and stay in a caloric deficit. If you start to notice that you have an upset stomach after eating the bread or some other negative effects that seem to be tied directly to the bread, then look into other options or talk to a doctor. Otherwise, eat what you like, it’s the best way to make this something that you’ll stick with for the long term.

Oh, and sometimes I still buy white bread, because it’s what I loved as a kid and it still just tastes awesome as the bread for a PB&J. Never does me any harm. ;)
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    I think a lot of it is that people just love carbs. Bread is an easy thing to cut out. I know that I personally have a problem with bread. I love it and have a hard time not eating 10 peices of naan, garlic bread, toast, dinner rolls, etc. Some people just stay away from it. I did notice that I lost weight faster when I limited bread and carbs.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Eat the kind of bread that you enjoy. Don't stress over it.

correct!

spend your calorie budget in ways that leave you feeling satisfied and nourished. Pay no mind to rules that label foods as clean or dirty or virtuous or bad.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I eat 2 pieces of oatmeal bread every morning for breakfast. I don't see any reason to eliminate or avoid bread and it hasn't slowed my progress.

Some people (those with medical conditions) need to cut carbs, and cutting carbs is an effective way to cut overall calories. However, it's not necessary for most people, and if it's going to result in adherence issues for you (sounds like it would) then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Don't worry the confusion is just a phase....Kind of like that other thing you experimented with once that you are confused about.....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Just eat what you enjoy. I eat 2-4 corn tortillas daily. Though this is a throwback pic, bread and tortillas don't stop this *kitten* from progress, ya dig?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Don't worry the confusion is just a phase....Kind of like that other thing you experimented with once that you are confused about.....

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    If you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to something in it (usually gluten, though that is far more rare than you might think if you watch the news or dieting websites), then avoid it.

Otherwise, enjoy within your calories and macros (if you worry about those).
  • rozzberry
    rozzberry Posts: 8 Member
    Bread is the greatest, most confusing subject ever. To gluten, not-to-gluten, to-carb or not-to-carb.

For me, I've been researching GMO bread (See Book, Wheat Belly) and forget carbs, it's GMO wheat that'll kill you. This stuff has addictive qualities that I know I'm very susceptible too. I eat wheat and I start having these difficult cravings to control. It's not willpower, it's narcotic! Drama aside. I'm not sure what you have in your area, but Silver Hills bakery is only of the only full line of Non-GMO wheat in the market that I can find. They're bread is wholesome and delicious. My husband who is Type 1 diabetic loves this stuff. It's very filling and there is enough fiber that it keeps his blood sugar steady (We also love the bread called 'Steady Eddie', well named!).

At the end of the day, all you can do is listen to your body to determine your needs. If you listen and respond, you will do well in your journey! Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Bread is the greatest, most confusing subject ever. To gluten, not-to-gluten, to-carb or not-to-carb.

For me, I've been researching GMO bread (See Book, Wheat Belly) and forget carbs, it's GMO wheat that'll kill you. This stuff has addictive qualities that I know I'm very susceptible too. I eat wheat and I start having these difficult cravings to control. It's not willpower, it's narcotic! Drama aside. I'm not sure what you have in your area, but Silver Hills bakery is only of the only full line of Non-GMO wheat in the market that I can find. They're bread is wholesome and delicious. My husband who is Type 1 diabetic loves this stuff. It's very filling and there is enough fiber that it keeps his blood sugar steady (We also love the bread called 'Steady Eddie', well named!).

At the end of the day, all you can do is listen to your body to determine your needs. If you listen and respond, you will do well in your journey! Good luck!

Lol Wheat Belly for research

Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Bread is not inherently good or bad. No food is.

I cut back on bread and other starches because it was the most efficient way for me to cut back on calories. Grains and desserts were the biggest calorie hogs of my diet and I would rather live without bread than cake, so that's where I cut back. I still eat bread, Sara Lee Healthywhite, on occasion but not as often.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    I see a few people advocating "listening to your body," which is ridiculous to the extent that your body is a moron and listening to it is what made you gain weight to begin with.

Health wise, if you have allegies or medical reasons to avoid certain items,by all means, do so.

Bread is just fine to eat and will not hinder your weight los efforts in any way, providing you stay within your calories.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Is bread something to try to avoid or not avoid?
    If you avoid bread and pasta, you are avoiding more calorie-dense foods, that aren't very filling. That's it. If avoiding it helps you stick to your goals, avoid it. Otherwise, don't.
    I've heard white bread turns to sugar, but I have also heard this is a myth and they are actually not to far apart nutrition wise.
    Nearly all digestible* carbs turn into sugar (glucose) in your bloodstream. It's called digestion. Your body can't use starch or more complex sugars.

(Yeah, yeah... fiber, cellulos, lactose in some people, I get it.)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I see a few people advocating "listening to your body," which is ridiculous to the extent that your body is a moron and listening to it is what made you gain weight to begin with.

Health wise, if you have allegies or medical reasons to avoid certain items,by all means, do so.

Bread is just fine to eat and will not hinder your weight los efforts in any way, providing you stay within your calories.

Love all of this, especially the "listen to your body" part. I often say that is the worst advice to give a board full of people with bad eating habits and poor relationships with food.
  • 4everchanged101
    4everchanged101 Posts: 50 Member

I'm sorry. What?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Bread Confusion Unraveled.

1) Wheat bread has more fiber than white bread. That's why it became popular.

2) All the breads got demonized during the Atkin's, SouthBeach, Somerzize low carb craze. Research those diets to see what's beleived about "simple carbs".

3) The demonizing of bread continues with Paleo.

The end.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics

I'm sorry. What?

RyRy you weren't supposed to tell anyone about those PMs! :angry:

:laugh: