Water?

Options
How much water should you be drinking?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When I'm thirsty I drink, until I'm satisfied.

There are people whose to thirst mechanisms don't work very well, but most people will do a pretty good job of getting the right amount if left to themselves.

Also water doesn't make you lose weight (fat) faster or anything. It's "just" for health. So listen to your body on this one, don't go overboard, you'll be fine. :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Enough to be adequately hydrated. Which can vary from person to person, and from day to day depending on the climate, your activity levels, etc.

Your hydration needs aren't the same on a day you spend all day relatively sedentary indoors in a climate controlled environment as they are on a day you spend outdoors in 100F temperatures doing vigorous activity.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Can't say I ever bother tracking, even loosely, how much water I drink.
    Nor checking colour of my urine.

If you are healthy and fluid is available and you drink it, you will drink enough.

Of course make sure you drink in any situation where dehydration is a possibility - playing active sports, hiking through the desert etc.

But healthy people just getting dehydrated in everyday life because they didn't count their intake or check their urine colour? - not likely.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yesterday lots as I had a long and hard cycle ride, today I need nowhere near the same amount. Both days I will drink enough water (and other fluids) to stay adequately hydrated,

Why are you asking OP? Any specific concerns?
  • tmanross
    tmanross Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yesterday lots as I had a long and hard cycle ride, today I need nowhere near the same amount. Both days I will drink enough water (and other fluids) to stay adequately hydrated,

Why are you asking OP? Any specific concerns?

Nope I was just wondering.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I don't go by thirst, since by the time I have the notion that I am thirsty I am pretty dehydrated. I only really pay attention in the winter - during the hot weather I am constantly sipping on water and so don't have to be concerned.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Perfect example of how it can vary by day, activity, etc. - on a normal morning where I'm indoors and relatively sedentary, I'll maybe drink 4 cups of water by noon. Today I played 4 hours of golf in 100F degree heat - drank a cup of coffee and a glass of water before I left, four 16 ounce bottles of water on the course (one with electrolytes mixed in), two big glasses of iced tea with lunch and am now sipping on more water. So today by noon, I had drank the equivalent of about 15 cups of water.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Enough.

There is no set amount, and all water based fluids count (coffee, tea, soda, milk, etc). Go by the color of your urine, if it's pale straw colored you're doing fine.

You can't go by the color of your urine. There are too many things that can change urine color. A better way is to press your fingers against your skin until it leaves white marks. If your skin returns to its normal color relatively quickly, then you are hydrated enough.

What is "relatively quickly" in this context?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Enough.

There is no set amount, and all water based fluids count (coffee, tea, soda, milk, etc). Go by the color of your urine, if it's pale straw colored you're doing fine.

You can't go by the color of your urine. There are too many things that can change urine color. A better way is to press your fingers against your skin until it leaves white marks. If your skin returns to its normal color relatively quickly, then you are hydrated enough.

What is "relatively quickly" in this context?

Within 5 to 10 seconds.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Enough.

Why do you need to do this?

i get that doctors checking for dehydration in a patient who has been vomiting for 24 hours or suchlike might do a quick check like this - but in everyday life, healthy people really dont need to check if they are dehydrated IMO

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do track my water intake so that I do make sure I’m drinking “enough.” I have found that if I don’t track it I can forget to drink it and then I’ll either mistake my thirst for hunger or I’ll be really *kitten* thirsty at bedtime but not want to drink because then I’d have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. 😂

Yeah...so, anyway, one of the times I successfully did weight watchers a number of years ago they had you track water in the app. I think it was 6 8oz cups a day or something. So I got in the habit of drinking more back then and I found that it: 1) made me feel good/energetic 2) helped with satiety.

These days, I don’t really have a specific goal, but I usually come out with at least 60 oz:/day and I do tend to feel “better” when I do.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Enough.

Why can't you go by color? That is one of the things lab tests do, look at color.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Enough.

This is a test for blood profusion. If it doesn't return to normal, there are a lot of things that could be wrong other than hydration -- and given how serious some of those things are, leaving people with the impression that all they should do is drink more water if their skin doesn't return to normal seems like pretty dangerous advice.