I know, Ho freaking Ho

Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    tinak33 wrote: »
    I have a Christmas obsession..... Also, I am the person who starts Christmas shopping in August/September..... and is finished before December.

I start shopping in August because my list is extremely long and it gets expensive. Without a backstory, I add children who I have no relation to just because their parents suck.

That's sweet. <3
    There are usually "angel trees" or something similar, around here, where you can get gifts for kids who won't get any otherwise. I usually grab one or two kids (usually 3 gifts each) depending on my budget. Also drop a few things in the Toys for Tots drive.

My family is so huge, that we all buy for our own kids, and draw names for the nieces, nephews, and siblings. As of this year, the family is now 24 people (just my parents, siblings and their kids). I love buying for everyone, but it gets really expensive.... We do a white elephant gift exchange between us siblings.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I have a couple Christmas craft ideas in mind.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've 2 rules, when it pertains to purchasing gifts for others:

1st especially when shopping for items so early that the receipt expires for returning an item, that it's something that you'd purchase for yourself because either they dislike the gift, someone else already gave it to them, they don't deserve it or unfortunately they become deceased prior to giving them their gift.

2nd anything electronic, clothing or requires ability to use it, should be purchased & given, prior to the receipt expiring to return it because it mightn't work, fit or they become disabled within that time.
  • tinak33
    I have a Christmas obsession..... Also, I am the person who starts Christmas shopping in August/September..... and is finished before December.

I start shopping in August because my list is extremely long and it gets expensive. Without a backstory, I add children who I have no relation to just because their parents suck.

That's sweet. <3
    There are usually "angel trees" or something similar, around here, where you can get gifts for kids who won't get any otherwise. I usually grab one or two kids (usually 3 gifts each) depending on my budget. Also drop a few things in the Toys for Tots drive.

My family is so huge, that we all buy for our own kids, and draw names for the nieces, nephews, and siblings. As of this year, the family is now 24 people (just my parents, siblings and their kids). I love buying for everyone, but it gets really expensive.... We do a white elephant gift exchange between us siblings.

That is awesome! I am the relative that makes sure all the nieces and nephews have at least 1 gift to open when we get together. I don't expect my husband's siblings to reciprocate to my children because their circumstances are not as fortunate as ours. Luckily my children realize they are fortunate and love to give to others, so we will also be adopting a family with 4 children (since we have 4) and an elderly person <3 I love the spirit of giving and find ways to do it throughout the year, you are amazing, a true Earth Angel, because of people like you I had a Christmas when I was a child.

I have spent a lot of time with kids who don't get gifts or who aren't as fortunate, and it hurts my heart to see the joy of gift giving everywhere, but not reaching some of these young ones. When it was just me and I was doing pretty well financially, it would take me an hour to pick the kids from the angel tree. And there were a few times when I walked away with 5 different kids to buy for (I couldn't put them down!). And if I couldn't afford it, I would ask one of my friends or siblings to help. Which they always did. The little ones were the popular ones. I tried to go for the 11-14 age range.
    Christmas shopping (with my santa hat on, of course) is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. And baking cookies for everyone. I made 8 different cookies one year and had 14 tins of cookies for friends. haha
    And now that I have less people to buy for, I am always looking for other people to give to. It's harder to keep up all year long, but we do what we can to bring smiles to those who don't smile enough. <3
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Oh my
    I can’t stand Christmas music
    I think it should be only played one day out the year
  • tinak33
    6wazvhbg5spz.png
  • tinak33

That's sweet. <3

That is awesome! I am the relative that makes sure all the nieces and nephews have at least 1 gift to open when we get together. I don't expect my husband's siblings to reciprocate to my children because their circumstances are not as fortunate as ours. Luckily my children realize they are fortunate and love to give to others, so we will also be adopting a family with 4 children (since we have 4) and an elderly person <3 I love the spirit of giving and find ways to do it throughout the year, you are amazing, a true Earth Angel, because of people like you I had a Christmas when I was a child.

I have spent a lot of time with kids who don't get gifts or who aren't as fortunate, and it hurts my heart to see the joy of gift giving everywhere, but not reaching some of these young ones. When it was just me and I was doing pretty well financially, it would take me an hour to pick the kids from the angel tree. And there were a few times when I walked away with 5 different kids to buy for (I couldn't put them down!). And if I couldn't afford it, I would ask one of my friends or siblings to help. Which they always did. The little ones were the popular ones. I tried to go for the 11-14 age range.
    Christmas shopping (with my santa hat on, of course) is one of my favorite parts of Christmas. And baking cookies for everyone. I made 8 different cookies one year and had 14 tins of cookies for friends. haha
    And now that I have less people to buy for, I am always looking for other people to give to. It's harder to keep up all year long, but we do what we can to bring smiles to those who don't smile enough. <3

Extra hugs for you!!! The 11-14 is the range of children that most people are "meh about" <3 One of my favorite gifts last year was a box of cookies my cousin-in-law baked for me. She included all my favorites, it isn't always about buying but sharing your talent and love with others. Like you said, just putting a smile to the faces of those who may have trouble finding a reason to smile.

Yes, that age range isn't as "fun" or "easy". But if you look, most of what they need are clothes. It might not be as "fun" as getting toys for a 5 yr old, but it sucks to wear things that are too small. Or to always have hand me downs and never something that was only yours. I used to pack clothing boxes with cute fun clothes for them. haha
    Cookies make EVERYONE smile. lol
    One of my nephew loves Snickerdoodles. I make sure to bake those every year for Christmas. I make enough for everyone, but I make sure he knows that it's more for him. Last year I got Christmas tree ornaments for some of my coworkers (the ones on the same floor I work on). Maybe I will bake cookies this year!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    As much as I truly love Christmas, and Christmas music, I am NOT ready yet. Christmas means cold...cold means snow...and I hate snow with a burning passion...it makes my depression kick into overdrive. :(

BUT. I digress. Girl, you embrace that holiday spirit! <3
  • tinak33
    u6r2dp0husdf.jpg
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Christmas is the best time of the year defoooo
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    deeblues13 wrote: »
    Christmas The start of the college football season is the best time of the year defoooo

• tinak33
    euc59qv5x68p.gif
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    My son saw the first Christmas beetle!
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I started in August, and also get out my snowman inside decoration too.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited October 2018
    I didn't expect many people to love Christmas as much as I do. I was expecting a lot more negativity. I was pleasantly surprised.