Circuit Training

Options
For those of you that do circuit training, do you alternate upper and lower body exercises or do you start with large muscle groups to small muscles? I was alternating upper and lower body when someone in the gym approached me and suggested I do my circuit in the order shown in the picture (he wrote it out for me). My goal is to burn as many calories as possible while creating muscle definition (I’m in the process of losing weight, have lost 37.4, have about 12 to go). Just want to be tighter/leaner. I tried it his way the other day and found myself much more sore than usual.
PS I always follow up my circuit training with about 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical and do 30 minutes of cardio on days in between my circuits (in the gym 6 days/week)32j49s4f6g5b.jpeg

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Start with the LARGEST MUSCLES first. Why? Because your energy is HIGHEST at the beginning of any workout. If you utilize a lot of it on smaller muscles first, you burn less overall energy and the bigger muscles lose the intensity because you have less energy.
    Cracks me up when guys put legs last. Most dudes only care about chest, shoulders and arms for the beach look. Lots have sticks for legs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cool. So you agree with him and think it’s best to do big to small rather than alternating upper and lower body? What if I try to do both? (ie big upper, big lower, small upper, small lower, repeat). Or does it really matter? Thanks for the input!
  • wirving27
    wirving27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of combinations you can do whichever you enjoy most is recommended. I do push pull so bench and rowing so I'm working both sides. That's what I enjoy. Again it's all about you and what is best for your journey!
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    wirving27 wrote: »
    There's a lot of combinations you can do whichever you enjoy most is recommended. I do push pull so bench and rowing so I'm working both sides. That's what I enjoy. Again it's all about you and what is best for your journey!

Awesome, thank you :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    How many times do you go through your circuit in one session?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a list of his priorities - not your priorities.
    File that piece of paper under "thanks, but no thanks".

(Soreness isn't a measure of exercise routine effectiveness.)
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How many times do you go through your circuit in one session?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I had been alternating upper and lower, I went through it 4 times (I had been doing 10 different exercises, usually took me about 45 minutes). Trying it his way, it took me 60 minutes to get through it 3 times doing 15 exercises. I do not intentionally rest at all since I usually have very short rests imposed upon me due to having to wait for people to move off the machines in my circuit.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Lol, thanks. So what is a good measure of exercise effectiveness then? The fact that I’m huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat during my routine?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Lol, thanks. So what is a good measure of exercise effectiveness then? The fact that I’m huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat during my routine?

I could provoke sweating more by wearing an extra layer or turning up the thermostat. :smiley:

Huffing and puffing less for the same workout, being able to workout at a higher intensity, increased strength (lifting higher weights), better endurance, higher fitness level, muscle development....
    Quite possibly lower resting heart rate, faster recovery.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options

I could provoke sweating more by wearing an extra layer or turning up the thermostat. :smiley:

Huffing and puffing less for the same workout, being able to workout at a higher intensity, increased strength (lifting higher weights), better endurance, higher fitness level, muscle development....
    Quite possibly lower resting heart rate, faster recovery.

Cool 😎
    I’m definitely making progress, either way. I’m able to increase how much I’m lifting about every other week, depending on the exercise. I’m trying to get the most from each exercise before moving on to a higher weight/more reps.
    If I were to go back now and do the same routine/amount of weight that I started with 2.5 months ago, it wouldn’t even feel like I’m working out 😊