Keto

Options
Going on the Keto diet starting tomorrow and gonna do it for 30days which is a month. If I see results then gonna keep doing it . Any tips on the Keto diet ? Any is helpful.

Replies

• GWornum
    GWornum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting me to too, I actually started today after much research and then shopping. I find that as long as I can track what I eat, I'm good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weightloss, you need to eat less for a long time, and your strategy should be supporting that.
    If you lose weight, it's because you've been eating less.
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Good luck 👍
  • iloveMFapples
    iloveMFapples Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto works because of what the majority of these folks are saying in their comments. Calorie and carb deficiency makes you LOSE pounds... but it’s not something you can maintain long term which is why I do not support it. I would do a modified Keto diet so it isn’t so extreme. Learn foods, learn macros, don’t resort to diet fads 🙂
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Keto works because of what the majority of these folks are saying in their comments. Calorie and carb deficiency makes you LOSE pounds... but it’s not something you can maintain long term which is why I do not support it. I would do a modified Keto diet so it isn’t so extreme. Learn foods, learn macros, don’t resort to diet fads 🙂

Almost, but not quite. All weightloss diets work through creating a calorie deficit. Keto creates that calorie deficit by massively reducing carbs. Keto done correctly is in itself perfectly healthy and sustainable. But everybody should take into consideration their own medical issues and preferences when they choose a diet.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Almost, but not quite. All weightloss diets work through creating a calorie deficit. Keto creates that calorie deficit by massively reducing carbs. Keto done correctly is in itself perfectly healthy and sustainable. But everybody should take into consideration their own medical issues and preferences when they choose a diet.

This is something I was thinking about when I opened this thread. Keto is often touted as some kind of miracle diet, but it may not be safe for everyone. My family has a history of gallbladder issues, for instance, so eating a high fat diet is something I would be personally be very nervous about undertaking. My advice would be to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns or potential health issues.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    You'll see results but just like with any ther fad, you won't maintain it. Just count calories, regardless of the food and you'll see results which you can maintain.

Keto is not actually a fad diet, and long term results from strictly calorie counting alone regardless of food are about the same as long term results from people who choose a diet where certain foods are restricted. This is why the Introduction and Getting Started forums are full of "back again" posts from people who lost weight through just calorie counting but were unable to maintain. Even some of the community members who have been around for awhile and advocate calorie counting regardless of food choice have had trouble with maintenance and regained.

OP, I would check out the low carb and keto groups, there are a lot of people there who have done keto long term and would be able to offer advice and discuss challenges.

Fair enough, but look at it this way: if someone told you that to lose weight you could either have 2000 cals a day of limited food groups with restrictions OR you can eat 2000 calories of anything you like, which would you choose? I find it hard to understand why anyone would pick the first option, but I suppose if its truly a way of life in this world full of carbs, then great 😀 as long as the person understands that they do have other options then I'm all for it
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You'll see results but just like with any ther fad, you won't maintain it. Just count calories, regardless of the food and you'll see results which you can maintain.

Keto is not actually a fad diet, and long term results from strictly calorie counting alone regardless of food are about the same as long term results from people who choose a diet where certain foods are restricted. This is why the Introduction and Getting Started forums are full of "back again" posts from people who lost weight through just calorie counting but were unable to maintain. Even some of the community members who have been around for awhile and advocate calorie counting regardless of food choice have had trouble with maintenance and regained.

OP, I would check out the low carb and keto groups, there are a lot of people there who have done keto long term and would be able to offer advice and discuss challenges.

Fair enough, but look at it this way: if someone told you that to lose weight you could either have 2000 cals a day of limited food groups with restrictions OR you can eat 2000 calories of anything you like, which would you choose? I find it hard to understand why anyone would pick the first option, but I suppose if its truly a way of life in this world full of carbs, then great 😀 as long as the person understands that they do have other options then I'm all for it

They would pick the first option because it's how they prefer to eat and it is sustainable for them. For some, it helps with cravings and appetite control. In the end, any way of eating is about sustainability and preference.

To be clear, I am not an advocate of keto. It has no fat loss advantage over any other way of eating in calorie restriction. But it's very individual. Some thrive on it. Some don't. For some, the reduction in cravings and blunting of hunger is exactly what they need.
  • mmapags
    Options

This is something I was thinking about when I opened this thread. Keto is often touted as some kind of miracle diet, but it may not be safe for everyone. My family has a history of gallbladder issues, for instance, so eating a high fat diet is something I would be personally be very nervous about undertaking. My advice would be to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns or potential health issues.

Just to be perfectly clear, keto is not a miracle diet. A meta-analysis of 35 studies in which calories and protein were held constant showed not metabolic advantage for keto...or any other calorie restriction diet. They all work on the same principle. Eating less than you burn.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568065/

Again, it's all about preference and sustainability.
  • mmapags
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Carbs are not the enemy. Eat real food including carbs and have the energy to work out. Lift weights to make muscle. It will help you burn fat and look better in the long run.

Carbs are not needed to fuel a good workout - I have been keto for the last 2 months and workout 5 days a week (weights and interval cardio sessions) and have no problems completing my workouts with plenty of energy.

There are lots of people on these boards and on MFP in general who have chosen the keto lifestyle and have maintained said lifestyle for years.

Current data suggests that keto is suboptimal for high intensity exercise but is not conclusive.
    https://sci-fit.net/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

If it is suboptimal, this may be a key reason.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/xk/4jymbf0uonch.jpg

BTW, Alan Aragon was also one of the authors of the research summary in the first link.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I workout 2 hours a day most days...some walking, some custom weight work, P90X, Body Beast, or Les Mills combat...I had a few weeks in the beginning when I struggled with fatigue, but not beyond the early adaptation time...and I feel like anytime I change up my diet there's always some adaptation time, so it wasn't any more pronounced with keto than with anything else.